Maybe a repost - Stealerships RIPOff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen so many videos of this nature happening in Canada, not even sure if there's any, for anything in the states?

If you know of anyone, please do share
thumbsup2.gif

08.gif

I watched about half of it.

Drums are low wear items, I don't agree that they might last four months. A brake fluid flush is recommended per the manual, every three years, so that is likely in the right.

I sense a bit of working to make a story. There could have been unevenness in the brakes, how am I supposed to know?

But many of the other things are just so dumb it's incredible.

But it's also important to be an informed customer.

I have seen way worse auto repair rip offs than this.

I'm glad the reporting channel produced this video for public viewing, though.

I would have laughed right in that chick's face if she tried to explain to me that the spark plugs are the brain of the car.
I'm bad like that.

The Honda dealer should have told her about the recall, though it is amazing to me that anyone could be unaware of this at this point. I really don’t believe them not doing so was nefarious though likely just an oversight even if it was a glaring one.

US Honda dealers do a multipoint inspection even when you tell them not to so the almost 80 bucks was the worst part.

I think their “expert” is perhaps a little too far the other direction and he says the brakes had “40%” (IIRC) and could go “4 months"... that is incongruous so we don’t know what the truth is.

I don’t think the Honda dealer was bad at all.

The Jeep dealer was pretty blatant and the SA was clueless...

I find it interesting that folks will get behind something like this as ripoff when pretty much the same thing goes on here on a daily basis, and some deviation for the manufacturers schedule might be prudent. The transmission fluid change on the Fusion for instance might have been a sound recommendation.

Also interesting that the reporter was concerned about the legality of what the dealers were doing, but thought trespassing after being told to leave private property was perfectly ok.

I’ve been in dealerships all over the US and with possible exception of Honda and Toyota I’ve found them pretty trouble free as a general rule.

There was some definite upselling going on but I would never follow the manufacturer's recommendations for some stuff. A 2010 Tacoma my employer owns as a work truck doesn't recommend a transmission fluid change and we can't even check the level or condition of the fluid outside of a garage. I change my transmission fluid on both of my bars every 30k and they both have over 250k on them and I drive hard. Most people I recommend changing it every 50-80k if possible depending on the color of the fluid.

I've also heard of lots of spark plugs seizing in the aluminum heads long before the 100k recommendation.

My BMW and Mazda dealer have never tried to upsell me. They perform excellent work at a good price.

Dealerships are hit and miss, with most of them being a miss unfortunately.

We have a local family who owns a few different dealerships around here, all of them are garbage and dishonest.

There is a Jeep dealership down the road that I wouldn't trust to put air in my tires, and then there is another one about 2 towns away that seems much better. I find some of the Toyota and Honda dealerships here are very arrogant, since they know the brands pretty much sell themselves and they think they can do no wrong. My family has owned a few Hondas over the years and have been happy with the cars but very frustrated with the service. Ironically when my sister took her 2003 Acura to the Acura dealer for the airbag recall they were very nice and accommodating.

Bottom line is it really depends how the dealership is run and the people working there.

Never anything major when I had my Magnum...only "upsell" they ever did was suggesting alignments (for a breathtaking $130) at every other service. Once recommended new wipers-which I did need, but not for $22 each. (I bought them for $9 each at Auto Zone.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back