Butter Bell Crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a butter conditioner in my fridge so use butter like we did as a kid - butter in the fridge, a butter dish for everyday use. So it's hard in winter and very soft in summer. This butter bell has the butter in a cup upside down in a cup of water, keeps it soft and sealed from the air. It's working well in summer, the water is cooler than air temp, but I wonder about in winter, the water would be cold, as cold as air temp. But they say it makes butter soft in winter...I'll have to wait for winter. Sort of an Xmas gift - my wife won a Xmas food hamper in a raffle, and this was in it.

Never heard of such a contraption before. Seems like the butter would fall out but I guess from all the positive reviews it doesn't.

I've lived all of my life leaving a stick of butter in a covered dish on the table at room temperature. Maybe it wouldn't work in other climates but it does here. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I've lived all of my life leaving a stick of butter in a covered dish on the table at room temperature. Maybe it wouldn't work in other climates but it does here. YMMV.

We don't even cover ours but a stick never lasts to long either.

We don't have heating or cooling in our house, although we do have some insulation, so inside temps are only a few degrees away from outside temps. This butter crock will probably be a bit more consistant in temps. It's working well in summer, it's soft but not too soft...winter will be interesting.

No heat or cooling. Must be a nice climate. Tonight we are expecting below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Summertime we see 95 plus sometimes

We think it sucks of course - dropping to below freezing by a couple of degrees or so a few times a year in the morning, and nudging 30C in summer...it's 23C now, stinking hot and I can't work outside. Windows and doors open in summer, a fan if we are struggling, more clothes in winter. I would hate to live anywhere it's hotter or colder than here.

An update now we have hit winter - 2 degrees C and our first frost of the year.

So, a so called French idea, but storing food in water is known to everyone...we used to put a bottle of milk in a bowl of water, and a clay pipe over it, kept the milk cooler than air temp. Made in China, for the American market.

First the size - a stick ? That's about 200 grams, pretty small, and no one in NZ would buy that small amount of butter, it'd be gone in a day. We buy it in 500g packets (1 lb) I cut off 200g to put in the crock, with only me eating butter at home it lasts me 2 or 3 days.

And as I expected in our unheated, uncooled house, where inside temps are only a couple of degrees different from outside temps...the butter was very soft over summer, and now is as hard as it would be in an open dish. I'll experiment with warm water an see how it goes. Still happy to use it, but for me it's almost the same as a butter dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back