PP Euro for 2006 Civic in Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started this thread sometime ago: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4297866#Post4297866

Currently, I am running Valvoline synthetic blend of 5w20(manual specified one) in my 2006 EX with AT.

Weather being in 20's and single digits, was wondering if I can use this PP Euro version made for TDI during cold weather? Same as this one(https://www.ebay.com/itm/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-5w30-Euro-L-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-For-9-Quarts/173030122060?hash=item284966224c:g:1p8AAOSwYxBaMIqw)

Or I should rather use it during summer/spring time frame and keep my OCI to 3K-5K? Thanks for all the help and advice.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Weather being in 20's and single digits, was wondering if I can use this PP Euro version made for TDI during cold weather?

Sure, why not? What do you think TDIs are using in cold weather?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Weather being in 20's and single digits, was wondering if I can use this PP Euro version made for TDI during cold weather?

Sure, why not? What do you think TDIs are using in cold weather?
smile.gif

So I should be good to go using it in my Civic, irrespective of weather, correct?

You could use the Low-SAPS version of Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 really meant for diesel engines, and since most gasoline in the U.S. is probably low-sulphur now, it should be OK in your Civic even in winter.
However, you're better off using a "High Mileage" oil, any major brand, to keep those seals flexible. Any 0w20 you find at Walmart is plenty good, and pick a Fram Ultra oil filter for best filtration. Valvoline MaxLife 0w20 suggested.

Majority of the oil in my stash I have is 0W20 and 5W20/5W30, but I bought that during last sale of AZ and have no other way to utilize it
smile.gif

I am using A02 Honda OEM filter
smile.gif

Majority of the oil in my stash I have is 0W20 and 5W20/5W30, but I bought that during last sale of AZ and have no other way to utilize it
smile.gif

smile.gif

One downside to using the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is the fact that you'll lose around 2%-3% MPG & peak power going with the the higher viscosity oil compared to a 0w20. Other than that, the Euro L will work great in your engine.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
smile.gif

smile.gif

One downside to using the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is the fact that you'll lose around 2%-3% MPG & peak power going with the the higher viscosity oil compared to a 0w20. Other than that, the Euro L will work great in your engine.

Thanks OFM, I'll switch in summer time then, because during winter mileage drops automatically and don't want them to drop too much
laugh.gif

I don't care about power, since it's a beater car. Lol

Remember that regardless of the outside temperature, as long as your cars thermostat is working correctly the engine will be in operation somewhere between 85-95°C, year round. As such, there is no reason not to run a 0W or 5W oil that meets the operational viscosity rating determined by your manufacturer YEAR ROUND.

The days of a Summer and Winter oil are long gone.

regards
Jordan

smile.gif

smile.gif

One downside to using the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is the fact that you'll lose around 2%-3% MPG & peak power going with the the higher viscosity oil compared to a 0w20.

Manufacturers claim 2-3% fuel economy improvement when comparing a 0w-20 to a mineral 15w-40, so the difference between a 0w-20 and a synthetic 5w-30 isn't going to be anywhere close to this, IMO. It's really the last thing I would worry about.

Does this Pennz product have HTHS of at least 3.5?
If it does, there will inevitably be some loss in fuel economy as compared to an ILSAC oil like the Valvoline the OP has been using, albeit small enough to be unnoticed.

smile.gif

smile.gif

One downside to using the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is the fact that you'll lose around 2%-3% MPG & peak power going with the the higher viscosity oil compared to a 0w20.

Manufacturers claim 2-3% fuel economy improvement when comparing a 0w-20 to a mineral 15w-40, so the difference between a 0w-20 and a synthetic 5w-30 isn't going to be anywhere close to this, IMO. It's really the last thing I would worry about.

This Pennz Euro L 5w30 has no moly, and its not an RC resource-conserving oil like gas engine GF-5 types. Its on the thick side for a 30 oil too. Almost a 40 weight. Based on all that, yes, there will be a lot of difference, around 2%-3% difference in a Honda engine compared to an SN-RC GF-5 0w20 using moly FM.
If using an SN GF-5 5w30 syn oil then there might only be a 1% difference compared to a 0w20 oil.

And, those above who think a car warms up instantly, taking the visc right to the KV100 level instantly, are wrong. People drive their cars in winter with the oil rather cool, so MPG is higher when using a 0w20 while the car is warming up. A thick C3 5w30 oil lowers MPG during warm-up and while hot.

This Pennz Euro L 5w30 has no moly, and its not an RC resource-conserving oil like gas engine GF-5 types. Its on the thick side for a 30 oil too. Almost a 40 weight. Based on all that, yes, there will be a lot of difference, around 2%-3% difference in a Honda engine compared to an SN-RC GF-5 0w20 using moly FM.
If using an SN GF-5 5w30 syn oil then there might only be a 1% difference compared to a 0w20 oil.

There are more ways to reduce friction than just through the use of moly. There are plenty of RC oils out there that do not use moly.

OP's question was "can I use this oil?" and he certainly can. Will there be some loss in fuel economy? Possibly. But will he actually notice it?

If the question was "should I buy this oil?", then I would say 'no.' But since he already has it, I say use it up.

Yes guys, without making it super technical, for an occasionally driven car by a grandpa sort of driver - I'll use this oil
smile.gif

Mileage, I might not notice during summer timeframe, hence I'll use it during that timeframe.

OP's question was "can I use this oil?" and he certainly can. Will there be some loss in fuel economy? Possibly.

Absolutely there will be a loss in MPG, and peak power. Isaac Newton says so. There is no question about it.

OP's question was "can I use this oil?" and he certainly can. Will there be some loss in fuel economy? Possibly.

Absolutely there will be a loss in MPG, and peak power. Isaac Newton says so. There is no question about it.
Let me requote myself:
But will he actually notice it?

But will he actually notice it?

Who cares if somebody "notices" a 2%-3% leak in their wallet? Thats not the oil question here. The $$$ leak is still there. No "possibly" involved, as you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back