Compressed air hose - leak at ferrule/barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice 3/8" Goodyear air hose, but it seems that air can leak out from near the ferrule if I bend the hose too much at that spot. Is this normal? I would imagine if the barbed fitting is snug enough inside the hose, then no air should leak.

I looked up methods for repair, but the tool for crimping the ferrule is expensive.

What type of local business would I approach if I wanted a new barb/ferrule installed? I can't imagine it would cost too much.

put a hose clamp on it or 2

edit: just read its the crimped on kind.

you can cut that off get a replacement end and put a hose clamp on it.

A hydraulic hose shop may be able to help you. This would have to be a really nice hose for me not to split the crimp with a cut-off wheel, Cut off the hose a few inches & use a Ear Clamp. Some thick Heat Shrink over the clamp is a nice touch.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
A hydraulic hose shop may be able to help you. This would have to be a really nice hose for me not to split the crimp with a cut-off wheel, Cut off the hose a few inches & use a Ear Clamp. Some thick Heat Shrink over the clamp is a nice touch.
This is what to do !!!! Or a hose clamp.

hydraulic shop can crimp a new clamp on it but you can probably just cut the old clamp with a rotary tool and replace with a worm gear clamp

East to repair yourself. As I'm writing this I don't have a link or pic. There's an insert you put inside the hose then screw an outer thing over the too of this. I use to repair my hydraulic hoses on my snow plow using these and worked well.

Air hose...cut it and clamp it.

Down here, the hydraulic shops won't repair a hose that they don't have the providence of (aka didn't sell it to you).

The crimp fittings and the barb that goes in are a weak point for the hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back