The new tires smell good

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing how smells trigger your memory. The new tires threw a TPMS light. Tires inflated with ~ 70F air. 3 days of 20F tripped a TPMS. I checked the pressure. All 4 were closer to 30 psi than 35 psi. I set them at ~ 38. Light is out. I had left the caps off so to make it quick at the air station. When I replaced the caps, I caught a whiff that carried me back to working the tire machine at the Marshfield Ctr Garage. 50+ yrs ago. It was a good smell.
grin2.gif

Especially when changing 6 new semi truck sized RV tires- walk in the garage after that change.... inhale...shiver w delight

UD

Last edited:
Echo your sentiment. Love the smell of new tires. But, those are chemicals off gasing from a petroleum product. Ugghhh!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

yeah agreed its awful health wise.

a definition changed radically since since I was a kid.

I'll take the life reduction that results from one or two sniffs like that every 7 years .

I'll take it like a like a man and die a few hours earlier than otherwise.

kids...

UD

I can't remember what tire brand a couple years ago that had some kind of lavender scent put into the tire and as the tire got hot would give off a fresh lavender scent.

strange.

Echo your sentiment. Love the smell of new tires. But, those are chemicals off gasing from a petroleum product. Ugghhh!

eah agreed its awful health wise.

a definition changed radically since since I was a kid.

I'll take the life reduction that results from one or two sniffs like that every 7 years .

I'll take it like a like a man and die a few hours earlier than otherwise.

kids...

UD

heh heh and single malt scotch is just old dirty ethanol
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
heh heh and single malt scotch is just old dirty ethanol
grin2.gif

We all pick our poison.

UD

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I like to sniff the tires on display and squeeze the tread blocks
27.gif

oh yeah..... for sure.

its all about %'s over a lifetime.

As a kid visiting yamaha/honda/suzuki/kawasaki bike dealerships in the spring with a floor full of new models fresh from japan - all absolutely wreaking of cosmoline and assembly oil combined with low density polyethylene plastic outgassing - I'm pretty sure thats worse that the sum total of "new tire" smell Ive acquired in my 51 years on the planet.

All us old guys are screwed....

UD

Last edited:
When I was 14 I had a work permit and worked in a tire store for the summer and on Saturday (no Sunday back then). I don't do tires anymore to this day!

It is amazing how smells trigger your memory.

Yes it is.
When ever I smell exhaust fumes, it reminds me of when I worked on a Dairy Farm (plenty of exhaust from the tractors).

Edit: That was when I was 18 yo. I was not cut out to be a Farmer, but I still respect their work ethic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
It is amazing how smells trigger your memory.

Yes it is.
When ever I smell exhaust fumes, it reminds me of when I worked on a Dairy Farm (plenty of exhaust from the tractors).

I grew up on a dairy farm. Even today, I can't smell diesel exhaust without also smelling corn silage and manure.

As far as tires go, there's nothing like standing downwind of the dragstrip's burnout box.

Diane Ackerman said this in A Natural History of the Senses:

"Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the Poconos, when wild blueberry bushes teemed with succulent fruit and the opposite sex was as mysterious as space travel; another, hours of passion on a moonlit beach in Florida, while the night-blooming cereus drenched the air with thick curds of perfume and huge sphinx moths visited the cereus in a loud purr of wings; a third, a family dinner of pot roast, noodle pudding, and sweet potatoes, during a myrtle-mad August in a Midwestern town, when both of one’s parents were alive. Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines, hidden under the weedy mass of years and experiences. Hit a tripwire of smell, and memories explode all at once. A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."

Often I visit a small town in which the biggest thing is a Michelin rubber plant. The whole town smells like a tire store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back