supertech/napa proselect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck in question is a 2008 5.7 Tundra with right at 80k miles. Its for a friend of mine who picked it up for a great price. He does want to keep up on the maintenance, although paying child support for two kids and other expenses, he cant spend a lot on synthetic oil and filters, though he would if possible. I changed it today with a Napa Proselect filter and Supertech conventional 5W30, and told him we would do it every 5k. I know it specs 0W20 or 5W20 but Ive never been a fan of 20 grade oils. No need to get into a discussion or get off topic about it. So, should this oil and filter combo be good for 5k miles? His drive to work is 50 miles round trip all highway, 5 days a week.

That combo should be fine for the 5k OCI you describe
smile.gif

However, synthetic can often be found on sale at a great price. For example, Napa has their house brand synthetic every so often for $3-4/qt, making it the same price as dino. Plus, it's good for 10k. I think Toyota says 5k for dino, 10k for syn, so for only a little more money, if that, you can go twice as long, making it cost less overall.

If there's a Kmart near you, they have Smitty's on sale a few times a year for $7-8 for a 5qt jug, which actually makes it cost less than Walmart.

sounds good to me.

In fact you could simply buy a supertech filter as well because as far as I can tell its the same as a pro-select filter inside and out, and its less then 3 bucks.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That combo should be fine for the 5k OCI you describe
smile.gif

However, synthetic can often be found on sale at a great price. For example, Napa has their house brand synthetic every so often for $3-4/qt, making it the same price as dino. Plus, it's good for 10k. I think Toyota says 5k for dino, 10k for syn, so for only a little more money, if that, you can go twice as long, making it cost less overall.

If there's a Kmart near you, they have Smitty's on sale a few times a year for $7-8 for a 5qt jug, which actually makes it cost less than Walmart.

yeah the smitty's oil is good but its hard to find a Kmart that is still open.

all the ones within driving distance around here are closing up. which sucks because I was getting the smitty's oil for good prices, even the high mileage.

The difference between ST 5w-30 conventional and syn is like 5 bucks. In that particular engine I wouldn't use conventional if he wants to keep it while.. long timing chains, VVT, etc.

In a warm climate such as LA, I would grab ST 10W30 conventional, as it is less volatile and has less viscosity drop through shear than a 5W30 conventional.

I like 5W30 synthetics and 10W30 Dino.

But we are splitting hairs here and as you said, you have already done the oil change. What you did sounds fine for 5k miles. Good Work now Crack On.

Don't know what he was driving before, but with this Tundra and 12 MPG he definitely will not have any money left for child support. Those 5.7L are reliable gas guzzlers...

But yes, Super Tech 5w30 will work for 5k without an issue. I have done SuperTech HM 5w30 for 5k in a few engines without a single issue so far. But I would definitely upgrade to SuperTech Synthetic 5w30. He will not notice the difference of $6 over 5k-7.5k OCI. Keep the same filter, or use SuperTech filter, if available.
Even Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 (Synthetic Blend) would be a good upgrade over SuperTech. Price difference is couple bucks.

This will work fine for you.
The NAPA and the ST filter is the same so you can just buy both at WM.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
but with this Tundra and 12 MPG he definitely will not have any money left for child support. Those 5.7L are reliable gas guzzlers...

lol, I had this thought too. I had a 2008 Tundra with the 5.7 and LOVED the truck but yeah the gas mileage was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back