Changed rear diff to Pennzoil. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1999 Silverado had a minor leak on the passenger side rear axle gasket so I had a local shop replace the gasket. When they did, they also drained the rear diff fluid with 79K miles and replaced it with fresh Pennzoil 75W90. I've never use this gear oil, is it any good? How long should this oil be ran? I never tow anything and drive 50/50 highway/city commuting.

Non-synthetic probably 50k Synthetic 50-100K but check your owners manual or call your dealer for the OCI.

Should note that the fluid that was drained was visually in good shape. The color was a dark brown, not black. Only worry was the amount of metal that was accumulated on the magnet, it had absolutely no more open real estate to take on any additional metal and I'm glad it was done today.

@dailydriver - It was Pennzoil Synthetic 75W90, sorry for not including this earlier. I've put 100 miles on the truck this week and everything seems ok so far. Hopeful to not be worrying about the Diff for another 100K miles or ever. 😀

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It's excellent. That's what I'd use if I were to ever use an over the counter oil.

I was also wondering about it and if it was just as good or better than Mobil gear oil?

I plan on doing my diffs on my Ram in the spring, or sooner, and was wondering, aside if it was any good, but also where I could buy it?
I found this older post while searching and it sounds like it wasn't the easiest stuff to find.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2339887

I checked my local CDN Tire and I was glad to see they carried it. $23.49 for the 75W-140 seems a tad pricey but in all honesty, I shouldn't be surprised.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-75w140-full-synthetic-gear-oil-946-ml-0280200p.html

I am just curious now if anyone has seen it go on sale like the engine oil usually does? I need 3 for the rear and 2 (75W-90)for the front, I believe?

I am a fan of Pennzoil products so this is likely the route I'll go, unless I can find Mobil on sale at the time I am going to need it? Either one will suit me, just leaning towards the Pennzoil as my personal choice.

EDIT: Seems odd? Looks like CDN Tire only carries the 75W-140 but not the 75W-90? I checked and it looks like Wally World carries it but maybe only if you purchase a case?
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pennzoil-platinum-sae-75w-90-full-synthetic-axle-oil/6000195575362

I need some other CDN's to reply and hopefully they can tell me different, or that CDN Tire does sell it, it's just not listed/shown for some reason?

Last edited:
That pricing is high. It doesn't seem to go on special as often as motor oil. Heck, I bought RP differential fluid for less than that! Get a good relationship with a local parts store, and maybe they can get you a jobber price on things. It would save a bit for you over these types of fluids, and you wouldn't have to go all over the place to track them down.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That pricing is high. It doesn't seem to go on special as often as motor oil. Heck, I bought RP differential fluid for less than that! Get a good relationship with a local parts store, and maybe they can get you a jobber price on things. It would save a bit for you over these types of fluids, and you wouldn't have to go all over the place to track them down.

RP is even more than the Pennzoil. I looked for Mobil at CDN Tire but none shows up? I am pretty sure they also carry it, but I could be mistaken? The RP is the 75W-90 and it's more than the 75W-140? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/royal-purple-75w-90-synthetic-gear-oil-0280241p.html#srp http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/royal-purple-max-gear-oil-75w140-0289087p.html Does that seem right? I would assume the 75W-140 would be more $?
Not going to get into an oil battle, but I think I will just stick with Mobil or Pennzoil, with Pennzoil being my first choice.

Just checked out Partsource but it shows hardly anything that they carry?
http://www.partsource.ca/en.html

I did manage to find PUP at PS over a month ago that was $7-$8 bucks cheaper than CT so I guess I'll have to go in and see for myself.

Last edited:
My supplier for the RP was actually a bit cheaper than just about everything else, but I have a different supplier. I paid a few dollars less. I didn't think RP was better than anything else. It was just cheaper than the alternatives for me. When it comes to Partsource, it's worth a look, but the problem there is selection varies a bit from store to store.

Mobil or Pennzoil would be just fine. It never hurts to check an independent parts store, build a relationship with them if you can, and see what you can swing.

A distributor could certainly give you a good price, but you'd be buying in large quantities that you really don't need.

My supplier for the RP was actually a bit cheaper than just about everything else, but I have a different supplier. I paid a few dollars less. I didn't think RP was better than anything else. It was just cheaper than the alternatives for me. When it comes to Partsource, it's worth a look, but the problem there is selection varies a bit from store to store.

Mobil or Pennzoil would be just fine. It never hurts to check an independent parts store, build a relationship with them if you can, and see what you can swing.

A distributor could certainly give you a good price, but you'd be buying in large quantities that you really don't need.

I see Carquest, where another friend works, carries Pennzoil gear oil so that is great news. If they currently don't have/carry what I am after, it shouldn't be a problem, hopefully, the order the stuff I need? I usually get garage/discount prices on most everything so this is definitely the route I'll likely go?

A lot of places are good with ordering, and often have some decent shelf stock. If you get the garage price at Carquest, that would probably be the path of least resistance. You "could" get a better price at a distributor, but I doubt you want a 5 gallon pail or a case of bottles, either.
wink.gif

A lot of places are good with ordering, and often have some decent shelf stock. If you get the garage price at Carquest, that would probably be the path of least resistance. You "could" get a better price at a distributor, but I doubt you want a 5 gallon pail or a case of bottles, either.
wink.gif

For sure! And no, no need for a "bulk" purchase at all.
cheers3.gif

An autoparts store called Benson in Ontario carries the PP 75w90 [ green label ] for ~18$

My MDX requires less than 500ml for the transfer case, so for less than the price of bigmac meal..
transfer case get done every spring..
J.

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
An autoparts store called Benson in Ontario carries the PP 75w90 [ green label ] for ~18$

My MDX requires less than 500ml for the transfer case, so for less than the price of bigmac meal..
transfer case get done every spring..
J.

I have never heard of Benson autoparts before but I see there are quite a few of them in Ontario.
http://www.bensonautoparts.com/locations.html Closest one to me would be Port Perry. I assume they are fairly new to the parts game?

I still haven't checked with my buddy at Carquest, but hopefully his prices will be around that? I plan on calling tomorrow.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
UPDATE: I sold the Silverado to my Uncle and the truck now has 140,000 miles. There was no issue with the diff until I got a piece of strong plastic wrapped around my driveshaft on the 101 freeway in LA. This wrenched up my rear spider gears and my rear axle needed to be replaced. Sad times. Truck got almost 70K miles on the diff fluid discussed in the opening post and would’ve went much longer if not for the freak accident. Truck is now once again running strong. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
My 1999 Silverado had a minor leak on the passenger side rear axle gasket so I had a local shop replace the gasket. When they did, they also drained the rear diff fluid with 79K miles and replaced it with fresh Pennzoil 75W90. I've never use this gear oil, is it any good? How long should this oil be ran? I never tow anything and drive 50/50 highway/city commuting.

Could have put Supertech in there with no differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back