Akebono ProACT vs EuroUltra for same car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akebono has their famous ProACT pads for most American and Asian cars, and their Euro Ultra line for European cars.

But some cars seem to have both pads available for the same application, though it's possible that the Euro line is relatively new, or that Akebono switched some applications from one to the other.

In particular, I'm looking at pads for the Saturn L-series (Opel Vectra), and the Saab 9-3 and 9-5 built off that platform, and the NG900. The FMSI number is D819, but Akebono uses the number 800. That is, the part numbers of the ProACT pads are ACT800, and the Euro pads are EUR800.

Anyway, Akebono lists the Euro pads for this application. Shopping for the EUR800 in a regular parts store (Napa, AAP/CQ, and Pep Boys), they are about $100. Online, places like Amazon, Rock Auto, and Tire Rack have them in the $60 range.

But I saw a listing on eBay for the older ProACT pads, at a price of $30. FAR less than the Euro pads anywhere. They were made on April 18, 2011. The friction rating is FF.

Is there any meaningful difference between the two? Or was is just a rebrand/renaming of the same pads? Because $30 is a great price for Akebono pads!

$30 for Akebono is a steal. Usually they last forever too! Plus, as far as I know they are made in USA, if that matters?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
$30 for Akebono is a steal. Usually they last forever too! Plus, as far as I know they are made in USA, if that matters?

Yes, made in USA
smile.gif

They seem like the same just two different marketing segments. Probably to make it seem specific or specialized to Euro cars since they want Euro car drivers to feel like they're being given special attention. Just like euro oil, even though euro oil has a purpose, why not extend that into brakes?

Look at the two pamphlets, they're virtually identical except for key words. On the Euro one they use terms meant to bring luxury and special Euro-magic to mind, like: "to match the superior quality of your European designed vehicle."
Euro: http://akebonobrakes.com/sites/default/f...%20BEUR171E.pdf
ProAct: http://akebonobrakes.com/sites/default/f...%20BPRO171E.pdf

This is virtually the same write-up referring to the same benefit (the ceramic compound causes lighter colored dust), look at how they describe it differently.
Euro: "Akebono EURO® UltraPremium brake pads are designed, engineered and manufactured with the finest materials to virtually eliminate dusting."
ProAct: "The carefully selected materials found in Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads are designed to virtually eliminate unwanted brake dust."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back