Aluminum Casting in MD, PA or VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone do any aluminum casting? I want to cast from some styrofoam positives that I have. I did something similar many years ago, but have never worked with a foundry.

Try a craigslist ad... these guys are everywhere!

Alternatively, you an build a "Fair to middling" foundry to melt aluminum with just junk parts in a few hours. You don't even need a real crucible because of the low melting temps.

Try contacting your local chapter of the American Foundryman Society. The chapter's secretary may be able to direct you.

I've doe a little bit in my back yard, nothing much other than melting cans and making ingots...

Seriously small...a big paint can that I lined with vermiculite/fly ash and sodium silicate (from head gasket sealer if you don't make it yourself), a peach can (crucible), and some coal that was lying around (charcoal better), and an old vacuum cleaner that had a "blow" function.

Third run I got the sparkly thermite reaction going on the rusty edges of the can...should have changed cans at round two.

Aluminum melts around 660C as I recall. Not terribly hot in the big scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back