Pentofrost A2 Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put some coolant in the overflow tank on a 2007 Subaru Outback. I look around for what coolant is OK to use, and find Pentofrost A2 can be used for this car make and year, according to their website. Then I see on the container it says not to use with other coolants. The coolant in the radiator is "green" in color, but I don't know what it is. Would you use this stuff to "top up?" If not, what coolant? I'm inclined to just use it, of course at 50/50 but want to hear other views. Thank you very much.

I labor under the allusion that Subarus are the most unforgiving when it comes to coolant.

Mess this up and she'll leak.

I'd take my 10 year old Subaru to a dealer and ask if the coolant (green, you say?) looked correct.

If the coolant is supposed to be pale blue (my suspicion) I'd drain and refill with genuine Subaru or have it done.

I say all of this out of fear of creating another leaky Subaru engine. I've seen 'em.

AS ALWAYS: The Pentofrost product might be chemically perfect but why spend time verifying it? Just go with what you know works.

In your case the mystery you should solve is learning what's in there now.

Subaru uses your typical Asian PHOAT coolant, which comes tinted in a variety of colors. That Pentofrost will be formulated virtually identically to the Subaru coolant.

As a less expensive alternative, I'd opt for the Recochem green from Pep Boys- ~$18 delivered via ebay or $15 instore pickup.

The OEM Subaru coolant for your model year is green, so if it's been serviced at the dealer, that's almost certainly what's in there.

You'll have no issues using the Pentofrost A2 to top off the overflow. It's the coolant I always suggest as an alternative to OEM, and what I use in our '06 Saab 9-2x (rebadged WRX).

Originally Posted By: Padawan
The OEM Subaru coolant for your model year is green, so if it's been serviced at the dealer, that's almost certainly what's in there.

You'll have no issues using the Pentofrost A2 to top off the overflow. It's the coolant I always suggest as an alternative to OEM

^THIS, chemically the same. I always suggest it as the highest quality OEM replacement coolant. Its in my Subaru, Honda's and Acura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back