Intake/PCV delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So K&N offers a short ram intake for my Sonata for $300+, OR I can go to Autozon like the guy in this video did and do it for 1/3 of the cost. Only thing is, I’d have to remove the PCV valve since my intake tube won’t have the connections to reattach them. This guy just uses small breathers on the one hose and just leaves the other dangling. In another video a guy put one of those small breather filters directly on top of the engine where the PCV hose attaches to the head. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlx3QnS6KJM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Ti0kUBFJM

Looking for ideas. Just trying to save some money but it might be worth it to spend more for an intake that has the connections. I have the tools necessary to drill the metal and possibly put my own connections on but I don’t have a welder or anything so I’d have to use like rubber grommets and slide the pcv hoses INTO the intake tube but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. I had an intake that I purchased for a Grand Am back in the day and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
The thing with leaving the PCV to vent naturally is, you're relying on those gasses to be PUSHED OUT of the engine once enough pressure builds up, vs the OEM way of actually sucking them out as they are produced.

The OEM method is more efficient at making sure the internals are clean and running efficiently.

The ghetto redneck homemade attempt is whack, to put it nicely. I'm willing to bet you'll have major varnish in that engine from the combustion gasses constantly remaining inside and caking up the place.

Good luck.

For sure man, makes sense. I could always attach an oil catch can? But I’m liking my rubber grommet idea. Is it ideal? No. Will it work? Don’t see why not. Is it ghetto? Absolutely....but it should work.

If you wanna DIY so much, go to autozone and at least attempt to do it properly for say... 2/3rd the price of the overpriced filter on a stick K&N sells.

Drill some holes, JB weld some valves and make it work like OEM but with the added intake growl you're looking for and 2-3hp.

Mmmmm. POWER!!!!

P.S. I have the expensive intake on my car. No ghetto El Cheapo route for me.

Originally Posted By: Throt
For sure man, makes sense. I could always attach an oil catch can?

But a proper oil catch can needs a feed from the intake to work properly. It needs vacuum to suck out the gasses / oil vapor, clean the air in the catch can and feed back into the intake.

A vented catch can is only working half way at best and relies on massive pressure from the engine to push gasses thru it. Nonsense.

LOL. Yea I’m not really after the power gains which are basically non-existent. I’m more so looking for the sound and I don’t wanna spend $300 for a more pleasant note to the ears. But I will if my ghetto whack hack puts too much risk to my engine.

Ahhhh I see. Sorry I’ve never really looked into OCC’s too much. I’ve read stuff here and there about them and the consensus seemed to be that they’re useful for GDI engines.

Ha! Open the intake box and duck tape the panel filter to the top half so it doesn't fall off. Instant sound gratification for the cost of a roll of duck tape.

Go do it NOW. Post a sound clip. I'm excited.

a waste of time and money and incredibly polluting

don't bother

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

In 1952, Professor A. J. Haagen-Smit, of the California Institute of Technology at Pasadena, postulated that unburned hydrocarbons were a primary constituent of smog, and that gasoline powered automobiles were a major source of those hydrocarbons. The GM Research Laboratory (led by Dr. Lloyd L. Withrow) discovered in 1958 that the road draft tube was a major source—about half—of the hydrocarbons coming from the automobile. The PCV system thus became the first real vehicle emissions control device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

On any vehicle designed with PCV, it's really far superior to keep it functional. Without it you get pressure (albeit slight) in the crankcase which can't do anything to help seals that are trying to leak. It also purges contaminants (water, etc.) from the inside of the engine.

Heck, my '67 Suburban came with a draft tube but I'm thinking about putting a stealth PCV system on it in the end for the afore-mentioned benefits. I've gotta think those cork valve cover gaskets won't seep as badly when there's vacuum in the engine.

All a short ram intake will do is reduce power when it's hot out. Why would you wanna suck hot air from under the hood into the engine for?
And OMG, you wanna make a slow pedestrian Hyundai sound more gruff! Why?

Why not!?
smile.gif

It really is a frivolous silly thing, I know. But I want one anyways!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Ha! Open the intake box and duct tape the panel filter to the top half so it doesn't fall off. Instant sound gratification for the cost of a roll of duck tape.

Awesome - add a bead of silicone to help hold the filter in place!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Artem
Ha! Open the intake box and duct tape the panel filter to the top half so it doesn't fall off. Instant sound gratification for the cost of a roll of duck tape.

Awesome - add a bead of silicone to help hold the filter in place!

Okay fine. I’ll just add the K&N panel filter into the OEM box. No silicone req’d!

I thought about a new exhaust system but an exhaust on a Sonata? Nah. That really is too much. So I settled on the intake. What’s so horrible about someone wanting to do something to their car? Thought we were all car guys (and gal’s) around here.....

Rest assured, no matter what I decide, the PCV will stay intact.

Thanks folks.

Dont mickey mouse this with AZ parts. Just buy system designed for you car. You could remove all the resonators after the airbox for a throaty / peppier feel. Try to find a AEM or AFE Dryflow filter instead on KN. If you went the latter of the two,use saved money and get a muffler from magnaflow/borla with same dimensions spec as factory and have it thrown on. No Beer Can muffler either!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Dont mickey mouse this with AZ parts. Just buy system designed for you car. You could remove all the resonators after the airbox for a throaty / peppier feel. Try to find a AEM or AFE Dryflow filter instead on KN. If you went the latter of the two,use saved money and get a muffler from magnaflow/borla with same dimensions spec as factory and have it thrown on. No Beer Can muffler either!

That’s not a bad idea! Except I’m not going out measuring that OEM muffler in this horrid weather. My only concern would be droning in the cabin. I’m already considering aftermarket sound deadening options because I think this Sonata is a tad too loud. They really should’ve used thicker window glass, my 2010 Taurus had really thick windows and it was so quiet.

And according to Magnaflow website they don’t make anything that fits my vehicle.

Last edited:
I remember buying a PCV kit to install on my 1959 Chebby truck in order for it to pass smog in California, 1970ish.
That was the least controversial smog requirement ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back