Would you run a fram ultra for two changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I’ve got a 2012 Nissan Titan that’s running Mobil 1 5w30 with a fram ultra filter. I’m due for an oil change. I’ve always changed my oil at every 3,750 miles as it instructs in the manual and the 3 samples I’ve sent to Blackstone have been very low wear. This time I stretched it out to a more reasonable 5,200 miles. I put the fram ultra on with the intentions of running it for 2 changes (10,000 miles) but I have a couple concerns. People say you don’t get all the old oil out unless you remove the filter as well. Is that something I should be concerned with? Would it be a good idea to take the filter off to drain the oil and then reinstall it or is it bad for the gasket to remove an reinstall? Should I just replace the filter or is that a waste after only 5,000 miles?
Thank you very much,
Aaron

You can run the ultra for two changes with no problems. The ultra was rated for 15000 miles but is now 20000. That small bit of oil in the filter is not going to make any difference, so just leave the filter alone between changes.

That's a perennial question. People will wax passionate about whether to drain the filter before reusing it, but the difference is not that important. Draining it leaves your new oil slightly cleaner---or hypothetically allows you to go slightly farther before the next change, if you prefer to look at it that way. Not draining it will save you a little time, and slightly reduce the quantity of new oil needed. Suit yourself.

I don't like running oil filters on two OCIs. My reasoning is that the filter still holds a good amount of the used, dirty oil so I don't like the idea of mixing that with clean oil. Many BITOGers will say that "there's more of the new oil" and stuff, but that is just my preference.
I also got a Nissan engine. Nissan engines thin out the oil at 5k. I don't like the idea of running any oil on a Nissan engine at 10,000 miles like others say. Just keep on doing on what you are doing and I am sure the engine will last more years.

Last edited:
I'd run it on two OCI since the OCI is short and the filter is meant to go beyond 10K isn't it? And if you worry about the old mixing with new, bad news the engine will probably always have around 1L of oil stuck to the metals surfaces regardless of how long you drain the oil for.

Was doing my ecoboost 5k OCI and ran both Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 filters 10k (change on 2nd drain) … the few ounces in the filter is cleaned 20 micron or less … and has TBN on a moderate OCI …
However … another option is a 7500 mile OCI … if that makes you more comfortable … my oil life systems tend to put me there on in warranty vehicles …
I’ll run 10/10k on my 2010 …

The filter is up to the task as witnessed and stated here many times before. Me I want as much of the old oil out as possible, and my vehicles are used under severe service conditions, so the filter gets changed with the oil. Now on my cartridge filter Rubicon, which sees little severe service use, I might let the filter go 10K miles, two 5K intervals. I can open the filter housing, remove and inspect the filter, and drain the housing. So in that application I might be doing just that.

While I personally don't do this, Honda says you can and Fram also says that the Ultra is good for 20K while even the TG would be good for two 5K runs.
If you run the filter 2X, I wouldn't remove it since it can be difficult to get an oil filter off without the use of some sort of tool, which will damage the can and there's no point in messing with a happily sealing base gasket.
The amount of oil in and above any modern sized filter is miniscule anyway.
For the Accord, Honda claims 4.2 quarts with filter change and 4 quarts without, so you aren't talking about a large volume of oil anyway and I doubt that your Nissan would retain a whole lot more.
As someone noted above, all engines retain a quantity of undrainable oil anyway.

I've been doing two 6,000 mile changes in my Jeep with each Ultra Guard. I'm probably going to go to 3 now that it is rated for 20k miles, unless I'm preparing for an off road trip with lots of slow speed crawling. Then I'll change the filter, too, before the trip.

The F150 goes two changes for each Ultraguard, and the Transit goes two, as well.

Last edited:
If the engine is clean, it can handle two 10K OCIs. My advice has always been cut the first one open after 10K & see how much is in it, if it looks good, then go for 20K. Just like I wouldn't extend engine oil changes without UOAs.

If you are going with 5,000 oil change you could change the filter on the second change. On my SUV I change oil and filter every oil change. QSUD 5W-30 and fram ultra at 5,000-6,000 miles. Engine is wicked clean. Filters and oil are cheap besides it makes me feel good

I am currently running a fram ultra on both of my Cars.

LS400 fram ultra and M1 AFE 0w30,
total mileage on oil will be like 5-6k, filter mileage will be about 12k
Time 1 year

Accord fram ultra and amsoil 0w20
Total mileage on oil will be 8k
Mileage on filter like 16k
1year time.

I can't wait to cut them open. Car51, Zee0six, u ready? I can see you drooling.

I don't understand with a Fram Ultra costing less than $10 why you wouldn't change it everytime to protect a $5000 engine.

What're you really saving?

I'm not being an a$$, I'm not trying to start a war, I'm truly trying to learn the thinking of why you'd leave a used filter on an engine and pour clean/new oil back in? Even if the filter is rated for 20K, I doesn't make sense to save $10 IMO.

It would depend on how big the filter is and how much oil is in the sump. A 4qt sump with a large filter could leave almost 20% used oil in the system, in that case no I would just toss it.
Larger sump capacity and a small filter then sure why not.

I have used a Fram Ultra on multiple OCI and would continue to do so without question. The filter is high quality and due to the dual layer design filtration should only improve the longer you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back