A survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea but I took a lap around it and it was really straight and looked original, enough honest patina that all matched. When we first came here I drove my wife crazy calling out all the different old cars in great shape. Not I seem to notice one when I realize I don't see them.

You in a Chevette Tig??? That is surprising
smile.gif

Wow! I don't know how many of those I sold when working at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership back in 1978 and 1979. The sticker price was just over $4200 and we sold them for $3900. We never ordered them with options. People that were looking for a cheap car to drive wanted a cheap car.

I never recall seeing many of them in our shop for repair either.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Spotted this old girl the other day, 1980ish Chevette. Decent condition overall but for the Arizona sunburn. Lots of old iron used as DDs here but don't see many of these.

Looks like a 1979.

I took drivers training in several 1976 models, both manual and automatic. Expressway on ramps were not fun.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
I took drivers training in several 1976 models, both manual and automatic. Expressway on ramps were not fun.

Driving school that I used for finishing and test had the diesel variant..

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Driving school that I used for finishing and test had the diesel variant..

Diesel....OUCH! I didn't think anything could be slower than the 1.4 auto.

I saw one last year on the road and got all excited and smacked my wife on the arm so she'd see it. Honey, Honey, look!

What?

It's a Chevette!

So?

I'm still not sure if I should be disappointed she didn't care about the Cheveette or proud of her for not caring about a Chevette.

What's slower than a 1.8 non-turbo diesel Chevette?

A 1.8 non-turbo diesel Chevette with an auto trans!

Seriously, 0-60 was about 46 seconds... no that is not a lie.
About 8 seconds to get 1-2, and 2-3 shift happened around the 30 second mark.

However, when the roads were icy and the air was cold and you drove it slowly with a tailwind,
they would do better than 55 mpg, no lie.

We used to use a "salamander" kerosene heater on our in the winter for 5-10 minutes before it would start! Pretty cold-blooded in the summer, too.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I'm still not sure if I should be disappointed she didn't care about the Cheveette or proud of her for not caring about a Chevette.

grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

An RWD subcompact, potential for a hot rod. Drop in a crate 350 and it's off to the races. If one in such good shape crossed my path I would probably snatch it up.

Speaking of survivors, I saw someone driving an EXP down Camelback the other day...and there's an old lady with a beehive hairdo that drives a '70 Cutlass I see around...also a Tesla S with the license plate "OILKILS". Guessing he's not a BITOG member.

One of the guys in my college days had one. When it came up in conversation, we'd say he drove a Vette. Then say Chevette.

Originally Posted By: Run
An RWD subcompact, potential for a hot rod. Drop in a crate 350 and it's off to the races. If one in such good shape crossed my path I would probably snatch it up.

An ex Girlfriend's ex (well he wasn't an ex in his head, not hers as it turned out) had a white Gemini Panel Van (they were Gemini down here) with some Isuzu mid 80s DOHC engine that could smoke the wheels at whim.

It is the only engine that I've ever seen that could move all of the oil to the top end, then bump off the pressure light at speed in a burnout (cold 20W50...cold being 85F. He just couldn't build engines)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What's slower than a 1.8 non-turbo diesel Chevette?

A 1.8 non-turbo diesel Chevette with an auto trans!

The driving instructor had a clutch and brake pedal on his side.

"Here's why we chose these he says"...as he jammed the clutch in while I was doing 50MPH.

Revs went up to governor...nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back