What to do with old Stabil? 2+ years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I've got a decent amount of red Stabil left that was opened 10/2015. I dosed my gas jug with it, but don't trust it, long-term. What do you guys do with your old Stabil? Add it all to a tank of gas? Toss it?

About a 1 on the scale of important things to worry about in life, but was curious to know what you all would do.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think the useful life of StaBil is 2 yrs. I use blue StaBil and by amounts I think I will use in one year.

Toss it.

That's how I'm leaning, based on the 24-month shelf life.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I keep using mine and have never had fuel issues.

For how long after opening?

//

I've got a place that will require a lot more OPE, so in the future I will go through Stabil a little more quickly.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

//

I've got a place that will require a lot more OPE, so in the future I will go through Stabil a little more quickly.

Literally years. I bought a big bottle and use maybe 15-20 gallons of gas a year. As mentioned, no fuel issues in 2 or 4 stroke equipment, including seldom used stuff and stuff that has sat with fuel in it over winters.

Keep it sealed tight, keep oxygen out, and there's not much to worry about imo. Especially if you'll be using it faster in the future.

I suspect the fuel life extension diminishes as the active ingredients get consumed from atmospheric oxygen. But hrs the longer you're truly trying to stabilize fuel for? A few months over the winter? You don't necessarily need the full stability life.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Maybe they need to make Stabil Stabil.
Not a bad idea since I heard cops have a radar detector detector and soon we will combat with a radar detector detector detector.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I would use it, maybe double the dose( in my ignorant opinion) !

I think you are right. I did that (24 months old, use 2X) and it seemed to work just the same.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

//

Literally years. I bought a big bottle and use maybe 15-20 gallons of gas a year. As mentioned, no fuel issues in 2 or 4 stroke equipment, including seldom used stuff and stuff that has sat with fuel in it over winters.

Keep it sealed tight, keep oxygen out, and there's not much to worry about imo. Especially if you'll be using it faster in the future.

I suspect the fuel life extension diminishes as the active ingredients get consumed from atmospheric oxygen. But hrs the longer you're truly trying to stabilize fuel for? A few months over the winter? You don't necessarily need the full stability life.

TWO years is literally years (ok, the bare minimum, granted.) Do you happen to know how many years, approximately? I can see a margin of error being added, and the stabilization likely being good for 3-4 years for an infrequently-opened container, but it would stuck to add something that literally adds nothing to the longevity of the fuel.

I mentioned recently that I ran year-old+ gas in my WEN generator without issue (just burned up the last of it over the past few nights, actually, without issue.) That gas was stabilized with the subject Stabil.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I would use it, maybe double the dose( in my ignorant opinion) !

I did a little more than that, actually. I dosed 2 oz for 2 gal. I plan to add it to the generator and run it through the carb tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be fine. I'll likely use up the gas within 6 months, even if the generator isn't needed for any power outages.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Maybe they need to make Stabil Stabil.
Not a bad idea since I heard cops have a radar detector detector and soon we will combat with a radar detector detector detector.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Same here.

+3

I agree that what Blaze said was funny. Well done indeed.
Hope you have been doing all right man. Good to see you on here.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree that what Blaze said was funny. Well done indeed.
Hope you have been doing all right man. Good to see you on here.

Me or Blaze?

I've probably had the worst run of my life. I'm seeking help and getting better. I'd like to say the worst is behind, but I'm not sure that's true. I'm opening up to my wife and others are around me are supportive. I don't deserve it, but they are. If you were referring to me, thanks for the thoughts.

What on earth makes any of you think that Sta-Bil "goes bad"?!?

I have some that's been opened and probably 10 years old (I helped a friend clean his garage for a move) and I can't determine ANY form of deterioration whatsoever......

Yes I certainly was asking about how you have been doing. I know that you have been through a lot. I remember you saying this a couple of months ago. I sure hope that you have been doing better in that last couple of months. Sounds like you've been through a lot.

I was given a old bottle of Stabil from the 1990s.I don't have a problem getting rid of certain old chemicals,by way of the fuel system, in my old healthy 6.2 L diesel.I had to cut the bottle open to dump it in my truck,but it all ended up on a metal table.I was surprised, at the strong solvent smell, that came off this old stuff.I wondered if it was still good.

Throw it out and replace it with K100MG or Biobor EB.

303 Aerospace is the only brand from the Gold Eagle line of products that are not absolute junk.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back