1984 jeep 2.5,winter oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,just picked up a 1984 jeep/amc cherokee xj with 2.5 i-4

Runs great,195k on the clock

First thing I did was change the oil,had a driveworks filter on it.Changed it out with a carquest red and 4 quarts of supertech 10w-30 dino,is this a good combo for 15f-30f temps?

Is super tech 10w-30 good for this engine or should I go with a syn blend? Any help would be great

Last edited:
Use to have one of them. 4x4 never worked due to vacuum lines or axle disconnect or transfer case switch. Never ran good was a [censored] of engine part jeep part ford part who knows what else they used. Good luck.

With a 195,000 on it, I'd prolly switch to Maxlife 5W-30 or 10W-40
smile.gif

1984 should be the Pontiac 2.5. I'd say you're good with the ST 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Pretty sure it was an AMC engine. They used some ford electronics on it. The carb was a night mare from what I remember. Id be more worried about starting a carbed engine in the cold then what oil is in it. At that mileage if it is true, it has to be TIRED.

This was a old park service jeep,so it had pretty good maintenance,the carb is definitely newer

engine runs perfect even in the coldest temps,gonna stick with the 10w-30 might try mobile super,with a wix for the long term

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dieselfarmboy

Pretty sure it was an AMC engine. They used some ford electronics on it. The carb was a night mare from what I remember. Id be more worried about starting a carbed engine in the cold then what oil is in it. At that mileage if it is true, it has to be TIRED.

You're right.

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
Daily Driver,4x4 is a must where I live

Basically the 4.0's little brother then?

I'd run a 10 or 5w40 personally.

Use to have one of them. 4x4 never worked due to vacuum lines or axle disconnect or transfer case switch. Never ran good was a [censored] of engine part jeep part ford part who knows what else they used. Good luck.
I ha 2 grand wags with the vacuum switched front ends. All kinds of of horror stories about trying a cable operation, etc. One afternoon, I fixed the problem with 5' of vacuum hose. AMC, in its thriftiness, used a few pieces of steel tubing run hard and tight under the left exhaust maniifold. Thin steel. It rotted out. Routing the replacement hose cable tied to the fender fixed it for good. Cost <5$ The Grand Wag had about 30 feet of vacuum hose under the hood. The potential for leaks was massive as the cars aged.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I ha 2 grand wags with the vacuum switched front ends. All kinds of of horror stories about trying a cable operation, etc. One afternoon, I fixed the problem with 5' of vacuum hose. AMC, in its thriftiness, used a few pieces of steel tubing run hard and tight under the left exhaust maniifold. Thin steel. It rotted out. Routing the replacement hose cable tied to the fender fixed it for good. Cost div>

If I had to deal with one again id see if I could swap a newer axle under it. My current Grand Cherokees front axle spins all the time and it dont seem to affect fuel mileage that much.

The 2.5 is tough. Doesn't get a lot of credit because most of the vehicles it was put in needed 30 more horsepower than it could give, but they'll go a long time and I've personally gotten 24 MPG with one in an XJ.

With that many miles, in warmer weather I'd bump up to a HM or syn blend, or 10w40, but 10w30 is one of the best weights for your engine even if it's substantially colder than that.

Ugh! Why do so many people assume the less prolific 2.5 used in Jeeps in the 80's was the only one? Okay, Jeep used the "Iron duke" 2.5 in the CJ for a while, but never in the XJ/Comanche/Wrangler. The 2.5 in question was designed by AMC, debuted in the Cherokee in 1984, and is similar to the 4.0 but is not just a shortened version. 105HP in carbureted form, not a lot of performance parts but there is a header, an RV-type cam, and some roller rockers available. A lot of people convert to an electric fan to save that little bit of power.

Last edited:
I had an '86 Cherokee with that engine and the 5 speed when I lived in North Carolina. I ran 10w30 year round. It got 25+ mpg (usually) and would go as fast as I ever wanted... on the flats. However, it hated the mountains. Any kind of decent hill would require a few down shifts. More often than not, I'd be in 2nd with the gas pedal floored just to maintain speed. This was with the 4:11 gears, too.

But yeah, 10w30 will be fine.

Once the hose was installed, the problem went away. Much easier than R+R'ing front end
grin2.gif

After Grand Wags with full time 4wd and a NP229 transfer case and D44 axles. The Rat's jim crack D35 IRS on coils with manual hubs is a toy

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
ANy synthetic 5w30 will suffice

Gonna stick with dino oil right now,don't know if the synthetic has any advantages to this older style engine.Other than longer drain intervals

Yes,this jeep has the wonderful 3 speed auto,that shifts great,but yes the hills do work the motor some.

The 4x4 system works flawlessly right now and pulls right thru the snow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back