Best penetrating oil for oxygen sensors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: emmett442
My opinion is that any type of penetrating oil doesn't begin working until you break the bond and get the bolt/nut/stud (or oxy sensor in this case) moving. Else, it never actually penetrates.

I'd love to hear a true story where an actual seized fastener wasn't budging, but after a PB Blaster soak it came right out.

If it's seized, penetrating oil won't help. Heat will be required.

Also, I don't care for O2 sockets when it comes to removal. The slot weakens them and they spread/flex. I cut the wires off (it's being replaced anyway, right?) and use either a box end wrench or a standard 6 point deep socket.

yes I've done the last couple things as well. a slotted socket works ok but like you said you can feel them spread, if they are in there super tight it feels like you aren't doing anything when trying to loosen it.

I've only had luck with penetrating oil after the sensor was initially broke free then lubed the threads while it was coming out, I've had a few that turned out hard the whole way so i was would just work the threads back and forth while adding penetrating oil till it was all the way out.

Only time I've messed with O2 sensors was on the 528es and the Rat. I used the box end of a 7/8 combo. It is a pain in the neck, back and arms, but once in place, works well enough. On the Rat, I messed with them when I had the Wye pipe off whilst R+R'ing the clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back