S&B dry performance air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a performance intake for my 2016 5.0 F150 from JLT. The filter is an S&B dry conical filter. Their efficiency ratings look great. I am adding a prefilter to it as well to try and keep it cleaner longer. Now S&B and JLT both say that you can clean it out by tapping it or using compressed air from the inside out to extend the life of the filter. I thought that this was bad as it would make “bigger holes” for more dirt to get through. What are your thoughts on this?

S&B intake efficiency ratings

If you blow holes in it that's bad. If you blow dirt off it thats good, after a certain point.

So you should be careful. Isn't this fairly obvious?

I cant see how you could make the microscopic pore/matrix size bigger by blowing, much less by tapping.

I just find it weird for the filter manufacturer to be recommending this procedure.

It is nice to have a performance air filter that’s actually efficient while offering more airflow. Most like K&N and AFE tend to have much lower efficiency ratings. AEM and S&B tend to catch as much dirt as a normal paper filter.

Yea there is power to be had with some. Not all though. Oddly enough the big name intakes usually do nothing but make noise... some have been proven though. Nothing huge though. And they are a lot of money for the little gains. But sometimes every little bit helps!

Great links BobFout. But they don’t show the S&B. Surprised that they were all that efficient.

I’m hoping to get some good life out of the filter with the pre filter as they are pretty pricey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think it's a waste of effort/time/money/expectations.

I think that guy is maybe a bit short to be working on bulbous American trucks, but maybe they compensate in some way?

Re the air intake, I'm afraid my bro-banter-bollocks-intolerance overcame my mild curiosity about 5 minutes in, so I didn't learn anything.

Life is also too short

Last edited:
Pre filter is a rock catcher. Great for keeping things like sand, bugs, leaves, etc from reaching the filter media. Almost nothing sticks to them as well. Just falls off and sits in the bottom of the air box.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I think that guy is maybe a bit short to be working on bulbous American trucks, but maybe they compensate in some way?

And that's a Chev. If it were a Dodge or a Ford, he'd need a stepladder.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Ducked

And that's a Chev. If it were a Dodge or a Ford, he'd need a stepladder.

Yeh, why are they so bloated these days? The older ones might have been big, but they didn't look nearly so tumorous.

Or do I mean tumescent?

Maybe both.

Your guess is as good as mine. The Ford and Dodge trucks always seemed a bit tall, but you are right, things are looking a little bloated in appearance. Maybe with us North Americans getting fatter, we want our trucks to look that way, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Your guess is as good as mine. The Ford and Dodge trucks always seemed a bit tall, but you are right, things are looking a little bloated in appearance. Maybe with us North Americans getting fatter, we want our trucks to look that way, too.
wink.gif

Thing is, it affects everywhere, since the US drives the light truck market, so products from Japan and Europe (I've seen a VW truck here but can't remember its name) get that "supersize me" look too. Even the new made-in-Thailand Ranger I've seen here, which is relatively petite for a truck, looks a bit painfully swollen.

Still, I'm unlikely to be buying a new truck so I'm not bothered personally. There are still some relatively utilitarian local trucks available based on old Japanese designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back