Smith & Wesson CS9D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not necessarily a fan of S&W automatics (had a 469 that was a bear to reassemble after cleaning) but my local gun emporium has a gently used Chief's Special CS9D for a very reasonable price. Anybody have any experience with this compact, single stack piece or similar variants?

I have/had the slightly larger 3913/3914/908 variant. It's just a touch longer in barrel and an extra round in grip frame length. I think both these and the CS9 are clearly future classics in the 9mm world. They already have a following and they fit a niche for which there isn't a currently manufactured equivalent.

I started with a 908 (blue, economy version of 3913) several years ago as a potential carry gun. Never did, but really liked it. Well built, well balanced, accurate, really fun to shoot and a reasonable size for a 9mm - unlike a lot of the current Euro iron which I consider overbuilt. I had a 9mm Colt Combat Commander at the time so didn't value it as much as I should have and I sold it to fund something else. I missed it quite a bit and recently found a 3914 (3913 but blue). Don't think I'll ever sell this one.

I would certainly take a CS9 as a carry gun instead, but they are hard to find and especially reasonably. The "D" would give me pause as I really like the qualities of the S&W DA/SA on these, but it would not be a deal breaker if the price were right and it was for carry or the nightstand.

Am assuming that the 'D' is for DAO? I like one trigger but I cut my teeth on S & W revolvers so that probably explains it. That I carry a Smith DAO 9 only reinforces it for me. Anyway, as a self-defense gun, DAO's make eminent sense to me.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back