For what it's worth; fluid film

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a [censored] four rotating dial lock on my gate to keep solicitors from opening my gate and letting my dogs out. Recently about -5 degrees Fahrenheit here and the lock froze. Thawed the lock out in my pocket while I tried out the new snow blower.
Before I reattached the lock I sprayed it with Fluid Film. Yes I know it will attract dirt etc. but took the easy way out(I have bolt cutters in case of failure). At -10 below lock not frozen(got some freezing rain) and works normally.
Just an fyi.

You do what you need to. Around here, I pack the locks with grease because they get seldom opened and we have water (floods), so I can't have internal rust.

Dirt can be washed out in a can of gasoline and they can be re-packed ...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
A beware of the dogs sign would probably be just as effective and if that freezes well it still works.

Not for one particular "gentleman". In addition to the usual mechanism I had wrapped a short chain around my gates and connected the chain with a cheapo carabiner from AZ. Well, guess what? Guy still opens gate. After I put the lock on he sent me a postcard! When does it stop!? LOL
Appreciate the response.
Happy New Year.

Originally Posted By: 555
A beware of the dogs sign would probably be just as effective and if that freezes well it still works.

Not for one particular "gentleman". In addition to the usual mechanism I had wrapped a short chain around my gates and connected the chain with a cheapo carabiner from AZ. Well, guess what? Guy still opens gate. After I put the lock on he sent me a postcard! When does it stop!? LOL
Appreciate the response.
Happy New Year.

It wouldn't happen to be the local utilities meter reader?

If so, he does have a semi vested interest in access

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Appreciate the response.
Happy New Year.

Nope, local religious institution.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Appreciate the response.
Happy New Year.

Nope, local religious institution.

Ever thought of just saying your not interested, thus avoiding wasting yours and his time.....?

Fluid Film is awesome on locks. Makes them buttery smooth, drives out moisture, prevents freezing and lasts for years.

Between my house, my rental properties and all of the locks at work, I get to do a lot of experimenting with deicing, repairing and lubricating locks. The Teflon based lubes work well, dry lube products work well for a lock that already works OK, WD-40 works OK in a pinch and graphite powder is about the worst thing you can use on locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back