Tiger paw touring - 2/32 after 34,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A year and a half ago, I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tourings on the Sienna.
I did this hastily, with little research, because we needed the van to go on a trip the next day.
They were a 70,000 mile tire, and I read a few reviews that seemed ok. They ended up being $90 a piece, so not terrible but not cheap either.
It turns out that I must've gotten a bad set as they have horrendous dry traction and are even worse in the snow/ice.
(It's nearly impossible to take off from a stop sign where there is any grit/gravel/dust on the road and not break them loose.)
So, after looking back through my records, I called Uniroyal (really Michelin) and they set up a case for me at a local dealer.
I drove it down there and the guy measures 2/32 all around. He asked me several times "now, how many miles are on these, again?" and remarked at the even - but atrocious - treadwear. Tires have been rotated regularly (not that many times you can even rotate in that short a period, but probably 4-5 times) and I had an alignment done right after I got them put on.
I put them on at 115,000 and I'm now at 149,000. They come off within the week, whether I get any pro-rata with them or not!
I'm thinking it'll either get a set of Cooper CS5 Grand or some Hankooks!

No one in our family has ever had good luck with Tiger Paw tires. I find most folks buy one set and their done with the brand.

My Hankooks have 6000 on them now and so far seem to be wearing well. A couple more rotations and I'll have the rest of the story for you.

Last edited:
Tiger Paws are the cheapest order tire at Walmart. You must be ordering a weird size or large size for them to be $90 a piece.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
A year and a half ago, I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tourings on the Sienna.
I did this hastily, with little research, because we needed the van to go on a trip the next day.
They were a 70,000 mile tire, and I read a few reviews that seemed ok. They ended up being $90 a piece, so not terrible but not cheap either.
It turns out that I must've gotten a bad set as they have horrendous dry traction and are even worse in the snow/ice.
(It's nearly impossible to take off from a stop sign where there is any grit/gravel/dust on the road and not break them loose.)
So, after looking back through my records, I called Uniroyal (really Michelin) and they set up a case for me at a local dealer.
I drove it down there and the guy measures 2/32 all around. He asked me several times "now, how many miles are on these, again?" and remarked at the even - but atrocious - treadwear. Tires have been rotated regularly (not that many times you can even rotate in that short a period, but probably 4-5 times) and I had an alignment done right after I got them put on.
I put them on at 115,000 and I'm now at 149,000. They come off within the week, whether I get any pro-rata with them or not!
I'm thinking it'll either get a set of Cooper CS5 Grand or some Hankooks!

Not sure if you are aware, but that generation of Sienna is know for eating tires. Especially if it's the AWD variant. Google it for yourself.

Uniroyal's aren't the greatest tire. I had a 98 Sienna with Michelin's and they lasted a long time. I also used to run snow tires in winter as well on that van.

Where are people getting the idea that a tire can be a 70000 mile tire? That may be the warranty term but there's no way any mfr can guarantee a tire will last x number of miles.

I mean 34k is pretty bad but I wouldn't say that the tire only lasted half as long as it should have.

I put a set on my Cruze 58,000 miles ago and while they've been alright, they may not make it to the 70K warranty and I'm just generally not impressed with their performance.

I got a set in August '16. Thirty thousand miles on my Buick Encore and wearing just fine. A little noisier than my Conti's, but not bad at all. I've actually done slightly better with Uniroyals than BFG's and had worst wear with Michelins. A lot depends on the car, I guess.

Last edited:
Actually as a 2011 Sienna owner that sounds like pretty typical tire wear. I would be happy with it. I think this is about what I get out of a set of tires. I have run Michelin and various Bridgestones, these vans just eat tires. Lots has been written about poor tire wear over on the Sienna chat forum.

WB

In my sold 04 Sienna, that is about the same mileage the tires worn out or close to it.
I had the Goodyear Comfortred, last about 1.5 to 2 years.

I have put a 90K tires in a Camry and it only lasted around 40K.
So, that is just a warranty number.

The 10 ply E rated truck tires probably can last longer than 40K miles.

Those tires didn't wear well on my wife's Camry and we're annoyingly loud for the last year. I got less than 40k out of them. Put Hankook Optimo h727 on bit too early to give review.

I highly recommend the Cooper CS5. Can't say much for their snow performance since I run dedicated snow tires, but the CS5s are very stable and confident both wet and dry. Braking is solid and ABS makes the car nearly stand on it's nose. I have to make an effort to really break them loose. I don't speed in the rain but they felt extremely solid even when hitting deeper puddles where I expected a risk of hydroplaning.

I have around 9k miles on mine so far on a fwd car with a tendency to spin and eat front tires. 7k of that is highway running 80+ mph loaded and in summer heat; the rest is city driving where I'm efficient but decisive so they get a workout. The fronts are maybe 15% worn and the rears are maybe 5%.

They were well worth the price for the peace of mind that I can maintain control in a wide range of conditions.

Tiger Paws aren't the greatest, but the mileage you got doesn't seem to be that bad for cheap tires on a Sienna!

Also, just because Uniroyal is made by Michelin doesn't mean they're good tires. Michelin makes their tires differently than any other tire company, including their own subsidiaries BFG and Uniroyal. For example, you won't see Tiger Paws made in the same factory as Defenders, and Pilot Super Sports aren't made alongside Long Trail TA's

That said, if you're not going to use dedicated winter tires for the winter, consider an all-season with the 3-peak mountain and snowflake symbol, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Goodyear WeatherReady
Nokian WRG3
Toyo Celsius

Our family has had two of the 3rd generation Toyota Sienna (2011+). The 2012 was a FWD model and went through multiple sets of tires (Michelin Primacy MXV4 OEM, Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia HL422, Firestone FR710, and Cooper CS5 Grand Touring). The CS5's worked out well on the Sienna FWD. We got reasonable treadwear (more than the other 3 sets), before selling the vehicle.

The 2015 Sienna is the AWD model. At about 15,000 miles and with winter approaching, I switched to Michelin Defender LTX (255/55/18). Best tires I have used on a Sienna. Excellent traction in all conditions and with 20,000 miles on them, they are barely worn. None of the edge wear that I have seen on other sets.

I've seen multiple reports of fast tire wear on Sienna and Odyssey minivans. Seems to come with the territory. Heavy FWD based vehicles and based on their typical kid-hauler duty, probably lots of city driving with sharp turns.

Funny how different results can be. I have an 02 GMC Safari van bought new. 180K+ now on van, doesn't get used much. On its 4th set of tires which are Uniroyal Laredo Touring. Over 40K and lots of tread left, no uneven wear and QUIET. May not be the same as Tiger Paw tho. Previous tires (Goodyear, Firestone x 2) I would take off at 40-50K to use on car-hauler trailer. Mostly because I was not overly pleased with performance on van. These have been the best by far.

I have mastercraft LSR touring T-rated on my subaru forester. 36000 miles and barely worn. alot of those miles were on back roads..not much interstate. I never had it aligned and never rotated them. Maybe i got lucky. They are wearing like iron.. 80000 mile treadwear. If i had another vehicle to put them on i would in a heartbeat.

I had a 94 LeSabre that had a set of 80k mile Michelin Symmetrys go 90k miles until one finally got a separation lump in the tread area that began to thump. Those 4 tires had worn perfectly even and were close to being worn down to the tread bars. The next set I bought were BFG with 60k mile tread warranty in an all season. I had alignment done too, but at a different shop that was recommended by my new neighbor. I had recently moved 45 min away from the other area, so had used a local tire shop and another alignment shop, both small, family owned. Those BFGs only lasted just over 20k miles due to the [censored] alignment. After 3 rotations, they were nearly shot. My point is that there could be more than just a bad quality tire involved here. I know I got a bad alignment, but did not see the effects in time to save the tires. I ended up going back to my original tire and alignment guys even with a 45 min drive.

First, tire wear is highly variable. Short trips really kills the wear. (Lots of turns. But long cdommutes get great wear.

In my testing I've had the same tire (make and model) go as little as 10K and as far as 100K - and the difference was the type of service (local delivery vs long distance delivery)

Second, I wonder if those tires were OE - which are not noted for their great wear or traction. The cost might indicate this (tires that didn't quite meet the OE specs, so they are sold to recoup whatever money they can.)

The Tiger Paw Touring on my 92 Olds Cutlass have about 15,000 miles on them now, and they still look new. I am sure they have worn some, but it will be a while before I have to worry about them. Very happy with them because the car rides smooth.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First, tire wear is highly variable. Short trips really kills the wear. (Lots of turns. But long cdommutes get great wear.

In my testing I've had the same tire (make and model) go as little as 10K and as far as 100K - and the difference was the type of service (local delivery vs long distance delivery)

Second, I wonder if those tires were OE - which are not noted for their great wear or traction. The cost might indicate this (tires that didn't quite meet the OE specs, so they are sold to recoup whatever money they can.)
Thanks for the info CapriRacer, do you know about the effect of road surface on tires? Such as concrete highways like in California compared to the rubberized asphalt highways in Arizona?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back