Triple A says

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
That there are a record 271 million automobiles registered in the USA and the average age is 11.7 years. That is a lot of oil changes and the average age surprised me. Probably higher in the west and lower in the east. The average age of my fleet is 12.3 skewed strongly by the 32 year old Samurai that gets driven every week.

Goodness gracious that's a lot of wheels on the road causing mad TRAFFIC freakin' EVERYWHERE!!!!! Ahhhhh!!!! stop the madness!!!!!
45.gif

...so 85% of the population. Compared to the UK and Germany of 50% , with an avg age of 8-9 years

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That there are a record 271 million automobiles registered in the USA and the average age is 11.7 years. That is a lot of oil changes and the average age surprised me. Probably higher in the west and lower in the east. The average age of my fleet is 12.3 skewed strongly by the 32 year old Samurai that gets driven every week.

I think it depends on the location. Here in my town the majority of people are driving mid to late 90's cars and trucks. But your average family income is slightly lower than the rest of the state.

In California, they need to include the illegals which would mean counting unlicensed, uninsured and unregistered vehicles, that is a registration not currently active. Same with statistics about drivers. That would mean counting illegals that don't have a driver's license but do drive.

I was rear-ended by a person driving a car with no plates and no documents inside. He ran off. The Highway Patrol stopped but did not take a report. He jokingly asked me if I wanted the car and left. My tow hitch punched the front of the car and left coolant on the ground. I did not take up the cop's offer and just left. None of this will appear on anyone's statistical analysis. I opened the hood and made sure the car could not be started and driven away. Later that day the car was gone. Someone with a tow truck probably has a parts car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about this 3-4 yrs ago AZjeff. It surprised me a bit as well. Especially where I live at now. High end area of just west of Williamsburg where I routinely see new high end cars and SUVs. With Porsches, high end BMWs and MBs around and a Ferrari or two thrown in the mix.

Ohh and have you made any tasty waffles lately??
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not having them crumble around me would be enough for me. Terminal rust is about the only reason I get rid of a car.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I think it depends on the location. Here in my town the majority of people are driving mid to late 90's cars and trucks. But your average family income is slightly lower than the rest of the state.

What town in south central Pa?

What about multiple car owners? I can't drive more than one car at a time. I am only one vehicle on the road. And that is why registration and insurance on multiple vehicle is a racket. I should be able to register and insure one license plate and put it on the car I'm driving.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Vehicle tax here in Arizona causes folks here to drive older cars.

It's true the yearly registration is higher here than other states. I think another reason is older cars are still alive and able to be kept running because of no rust.

McConnellsburg.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
...so 85% of the population. Compared to the UK and Germany of 50% , with an avg age of 8-9 years

I would have thought they kept their cars longer?

McConnellsburg.

My dad grew up in McVeytown, not too far from you. Always liked that mountain - big valley region of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back