Experiences Amsoil MCF 10w40Metric Motorcycle MCF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my large Kawasaki's in my commercial zero turn mowers have never used oil (and they are checked frequently), I'm thinking of switching from their 4-stroke oil to this MCF Metric Motorcycle 10w40. I know bikes and mowers are different beasts, but would like to hear what those who use it have to say.

As I understand it, motorcycle oils rated for wet clutch applications have to do without friction modifiers and some other additives that are otherwise a good thing to have in there. So I don't think running a bike oil like the Metric 10w40 is superior when you don't need to keep clutches happy.

There's always their regulat 10w40 synthetic "high zinc" formula.

I have used Amsoil Metric 10W30 motorcycle oil, (not their 10W40), in a 21 HP, Kawasaki engined, air cooled, Cub Cadet for two summers. I used it 1) because I had it on hand and 2) "Just because" I believe overkill is a good thing. I found it to be outstanding and a better product than Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 that I used the previous year (for the same reasons). Of course I have no UOA's or specifications to compare the two products, just how it ran, and how it looked at the end of the year, when I drained it. It also performed well in my Honda EU6500is generator.

The only other Amsoil products that MAY be better, are their small engine 10W30 & 10W40 oils, but I doubt it.

Life is too short, so go for it and use it!

I've pounded on both Amsoil MCF and AMO in my motorcycle (shared sump). There's probably not a better comparable oil out there that costs $12 a quart.

That said, I have over 3000 hours on a 20 horse Kawasaki v-twin in a Deere garden tractor, and two with nearly 1500 hours on them. The unit with 3000 hours has been run on nothing more than Rotella T4 10w-30 for most of its life (at $12 a gallon), with 100 hour oil changes and $5 filters.

The Kawasaki engine with 3000 hours on it had a cam gear failure (all early FD620D cam gears failed), and this one went 2150 hours prior to failure, which was the longest time before failure that the dealer had seen.

If you're not seeing any issues... maybe you're overthinking it.

I'm in the opposite boat...stopped off at a shop to gawk at a Suzuki VanVan 200 & decided to buy some Kawasaki synblend 10w-40 oil; I didn't pay attention to the labeling (other than the phrase mentioning wet clutch capability) and ended up with k-tech oil for lawnmowers

http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engine/accessories/kawasaki-4-cycle-engine-oil

now I'm stuck with oil & can't find the receipt...well gonna use it in the scoot & motorcycle since it is wet clutch approved

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Best F100

1) I found it to be outstanding and a better product
2) Of course I have no UOA's or specifications to compare the two products,

Do you realize you are contradicting yourself?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Every mower I have ever worked on that was regularly maintained (i.e., oil changes)...
the engine ALWAYS outlasted the mower. Always.

When people ask me what oil to run in a mower, I tell them any inexpensive 15W-40 will do, just NEVER let it get low.

When the engine blows while the rest of the mower is till good, its always due to neglect.
...Not bad oil.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Every mower I have ever worked on that was regularly maintained (i.e., oil changes)...
the engine ALWAYS outlasted the mower. Always.

When people ask me what oil to run in a mower, I tell them any inexpensive 15W-40 will do, just NEVER let it get low.

When the engine blows while the rest of the mower is till good, its always due to neglect.
...Not bad oil.

Yes, as a BITOGer, I definitely overthink it. However, Not so much when using commercial-grade mowers commercially. It's usually a race between the engine and the hydros as to which will wear out first. Often times the mower is still decent enough to re-power. Hundreds of hours per summer in high heat and running hard wears an engine regardless of care.
Anyway, don't want to hijack the motorcycle section...just wanted to see what people had to say about Amsoil Metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back