Ford CK-4 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for all the smart guys:

As I understand it, Ford was not happy about the API CK-4 standard due to Phos/zinc levels and wear based on valve train testing. Is it advisable to add a ZDDP supplement to a CK-4 oil to bring it up to the 1600-1800 PPM level? I use Rotella T6.

2015 Ford SD 6.7L Diesel fully deleted so no SCR/DPF issues

I think the easiest/cheapest thing would be to stock up on a couple years of non-"ck-4" oil

Still plenty of oil out there that isnt ck-4.

I've acquired a stash at 1-2$/qt most of it syn.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I haven't been able to find any cj-4

Then you havent been looking hard enough.

Alternatively order some from walmart.com or amazon.

Yeah me either but I haven't checked my local wallyworld yet. Does anyone see any issue with adding ZDDP to enhance abrasive wear?

Think Rotella T6 5w40 CK4 is now on the Ford approved list. They increased their P and Zn levels around May-June 2017, presumably in response to this issue. Just make sure you dont get T6 bottled from about August 2016 to March 2017, as the P and Zn levels were low in that period.

Also, I wouldn't add anything to the current T6. 1800 ppm P or Zn getting into risky area for emissions equipment IMHO.

Last edited:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4560447/17’_Powerstroke_oil#Post4560447

Check out this thread. There is a link in it for the Ford-approved list of oils.

You could just buy any CK4 oil and add a ZDDP supplement to it. I am running Rotella T6 supplemented with 2/3 oz of Redline engine oil break-in additive per quart of oil in my Dodge right now. That amount should boost the Phos content to ~1300 ppm. I don't think it's necessary to go all the way to 1600 ppm of Phos. I'm not particularly worried about wear in my engine, I'm just trying to see if the extra ZDDP will affect the Iron concentration in oil analyses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4560447/17’_Powerstroke_oil#Post4560447

Check out this thread. There is a link in it for the Ford-approved list of oils.

You could just buy any CK4 oil and add a ZDDP supplement to it. I am running Rotella T6 supplemented with 2/3 oz of Redline engine oil break-in additive per quart of oil in my Dodge right now. That amount should boost the Phos content to ~1300 ppm. I don't think it's necessary to go all the way to 1600 ppm of Phos. I'm not particularly worried about wear in my engine, I'm just trying to see if the extra ZDDP will affect the Iron concentration in oil analyses.

Look forward to feedback on your OA

WalMart Supertech fleet is still CJ-4.
Delo SD 15w30 is still CJ-4.
Valvoline Premium Blue is on the approved list.
You might still find some Peak at Advance Auto. CJ-4, a whopping 1.35 a gallon. I bought 40 gallons of it.
Maybe Ford will get their head on straight when the CJ-4 is finally discontinued.
You have options.

Originally Posted By: F250_SUPER_4x4
Does anyone see any issue with adding ZDDP to enhance abrasive wear?

An oil formulator here once said something like, ZDDP is the only addative he would be OK adding to oil as it doesn't get in the way of anything else and it does help. Or something like that. Basically I think it's OK.

ZDDP acts as an antioxidant to protect the oil and an anti-wear agent to protect the metal. It also quenches LSPI in gassers. About 1200 to 1400 ppm (total) seems the sweet spot. I assume a low Phos/Zinc oil would start with something like 800 ppm.

I don't believe any of these stories of excessive wear / corrosion caused by too much ZDDP, as nobody has been able to point me towards a study or a actual case that backs this up. Also typical motorcycle oils like M1 V-Twin have 1750 ppm zinc and I don't see any HD motorcycles corroding away from the inside because they use M1 V-Twin oil.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Try to find Harvest King oil for sale somewhere near you.

Great point! It’s very cost effective to:)

One thing to be cautious with adding ZDDP is that performance type ZDDP and HDEO type ZDDP aren't necessarily the same species. Basically, the simplest solution is to buy an approved lube if you're concerned about the phosphorus issue; if you're not concerned, simply run any ordinary HDEO, since Ford's train of thought derailed months ago.

Running an approved lube is generally the safest option. Having to look for CJ-4 or CI-4+ lubes because Ford is chasing its own tail is silly. There are E6 lubes, which are specifically low phosphorus, that are approved because they are CJ-4 or approved explicitly by Ford on their last list, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in Ford's assessment of this "issue."

Originally Posted By: Garak
One thing to be cautious with adding ZDDP is that performance type ZDDP and HDEO type ZDDP aren't necessarily the same species.

Basically, the simplest solution is to buy an approved lube if you're concerned about the phosphorus issue; if you're not concerned, simply run any ordinary HDEO

Good point Garak, hot-rod ZDDP may not be the same as truck HDEO ZDDP.

Best to get an oil off the Ford list, there is ample of them.

My paranoia about additives doesn't help, either.
wink.gif
However, if Ford is being picky and there is something to what they say (or even if there isn't) and a warranty issue would come up, I wouldn't want to be fighting the additive fight with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back