Do good add. packs fight oil contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me preface my question by stating that no oil can completely prevent engine damage if engine oil is heavily contaminated by antifreeze, fuel, etc. Understandably, large amounts of contamination can and will prove deadly to an engine. However, I'm curious if there are oils with certain additive packs (conventional or synthetic) that would help curb damage caused by these contaminants, especially if the contamination starts out undetected, in small amounts.

I'll give an example - my '98 chev. has the Vortec 350 that was infamous for intake gaskets that degraded prematurely, often causing antifreeze leaks. I replaced mine a while back at 118,000 miles, due to some external seeping. Luckily, I caught it before it started dumping any coolant into the crankcase, but judging by the condition of the original IM gasket, I didn't change it a moment too soon.

Let's pretend I didn't have knowledge of this issue and had let it continue seeping, possibly leaking into the crankcase. Or, for the sake of this hypothetical, let's consider fuel dilution, or dust / dirt from a dirty air filter. Are there any oils out there that would hold up better to trace amounts of contamination than others, in turn preventing wear despite the contamination? Maybe a high mileage formulation, designed for use in older vehicles more prone to oil contamination with age? Maybe any good oil would be just as effective? Maybe none of them would be effective? Been thinking about this one lately. Thoughts?

confused.gif

You have my attention....

"TRACE AMOUNTS" is the key, SO YES - THEY DO.

Huge leaks are more than can be asked of ANY oil, though.

Now....
Having said that, I have drained a LOT of "chocolate milk" in my life...
like, probably 100 gallons. So, I have been absolutely,
UTTERLY amazed at how much filth oil can handle, and after repairs....
(and of course, fresh oil!)

.......the car drove away just fine. Amazing.

No. Your best safeguard is to frequently check the oil. If you're aware the vehicle has more rapid oil contamination, use a shorter OCI.

Same thing different day really, maintain the vehicle if you want it to last. There's no magic oil that changes this.

Last edited:
My guesstimate is that a good add package will help
handle contamination better than el cheapo oil or add
pack.
Gasoline will thin the oil but water/coolant can do
serious damage. But can do damage but good oil and good
additives will help.

My 2¢

High viscosity seems likely to resist all the contaminants you mention (except maybe glycol) better than low viscosity, and if the viscosity is due to VII's, then those could be counted as additives.

Oil oxidation by glycol can cause a rise in viscosity.

Glycol oxidises to form organic acids. A higher base number will tend to resist acidification of the oil.

However, glycol also precipitates out oil additives leading to filter-plugging, so more additives in that case MIGHT not be a good thing.

While in principle I'm intrigued by extended OCI's, my biggest reservation is the contaminants put off from a combustion engine. How does Mobil 1 Annual Protection or Amsoil SSO fight that? I'm sure the stout add pack helps. I guess this is where UOA comes in, because each engine will be different in terms of fuel dilution, or whatever else. I could probably run a synthetic oil in my furnace blower motor bearings forever, but a combustion engine is a different story. Sorry - furnace blowers are on my mind lately. Lost our heat this past week in negative degree F temperatures due to a locked up blower bearing!

Originally Posted By: RonRonnster
Understandably, large amounts of contamination can and will prove deadly to an engine. However, I'm curious if there are oils with certain additive packs (conventional or synthetic) that would help curb damage caused by these contaminants, especially if the contamination starts out undetected, in small amounts.

A very strong and effective dispersancy capability is probably most critical, not saying other oil properties are of lesser value.
Synthetics would have better luck than cheapo conventional in having stronger dispersancy capability , generally.... and possibly include extended-drain quality PCMO oils like Castrol/Mobil EP's; ACEA A3B4/C3 with high TBN's, HDEO's with E9/CK4 etc.
JMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back