In search of motor guard bypass oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I thought I might get my answer faster in this section. I'm looking for a Ralph wood modified motor guard bypass filter system if anyone has one for sale. Also if Ralph still makes them or any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Jess Matthews

Hi Jess, welcome to the site. Ralph Woods is no longer making the MotorGuard filter that I'm aware of. There was a guy trying to sell a modified M30 on ebay, but don't know if it's still for sale or not. Might be easier to by an old M100 that come up from time to time on ebay.

Ok thank you for the information. I've been reading up on oil bypass filters and that man has a ton of knowledge about this subject. I have been running a couple fs2500s and like them. A310 did you ever get your motor guard modified? I seen you on your YouTube channel that you had one you were trying to modify.

Last edited:
Yes Ralph Woods sure knew his stuff that's for sure, after reading his post's I decided to try MotorGuards myself and love them. I have 3 M100's in service and one is modified with Aluminum sleeves. I did convert an M30 to an oil bypass and that works great as well. I copied Ralphs design, but instead of a 2 piece collar and sleeve I made it a one piece from 6061 aluminum. I also made some brass thrust washers as Ralph's units kept the original polypropylene thrust washers that wear out over time. Here's some pictures of the converted M30.

P.S. In that last picture you can see the aluminum sleeve on the M100, both the M100 and M30 are using the Kirkland rolls. I like the converted M30 as I can run it as a transmission and fuel filter as well.

My Motorguards are all converted M30's with handmade internals. Ralph was kind enough to send me a pair of the nylon units he used to make before he passed on, but after that I had to make my own, as well. The last one I made had a little engineering built in by fabbing a telescopic internal sleeve. All you need is two pieces of pipe with a snug slip fit, then weld the appropriate size washers on the ends. This design eliminates any possibility of internal compromise and ensures the unit will button down tight.

Thank you for the information, I hope to find an old 100 and then modify a few m30s for some tractors I have and a v10 Ford also. I like the way these are designed compared to the frantz. I was wondering if anyone used the gulf coast bypass that use a paper towel roll. I would think they might be able to run longer before changes on tractors that hold 5 gallons of oil. I'm just asking because I know my fs2500 filters don't last as long in my tractors as they do in my 7.3 powerstroke.
Thanks for the info

I run the GC-01 on my '91 Dodge Cummins. I have no idea how long they might run in your application, but one of the cool things about these type filters to me at least is I never fully loaded one. They were always still flowing good when I finally decided to change them, just because. The most miles I put a the GC filter was around 20k.

Frantz is another bypass filter option if you cannot find a Motor Guard. I have Frantz filters on my work trucks and they have held up well over the years.

The closest bypass I have to a Gulf coast is a PuraDyn MTS24 unit on my sister's Cummins. It can easily be converted to use a paper towel roll, I've tried in the past to find a Gulf Coast Junior, but no luck.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
I run the GC-01 on my '91 Dodge Cummins. I have no idea how long they might run in your application, but one of the cool things about these type filters to me at least is I never fully loaded one. They were always still flowing good when I finally decided to change them, just because. The most miles I put a the GC filter was around 20k.

I've got a GCF-01 on my 2000 Dodge Cummins, and my experience has been about the same. I change it annually just because, along with the full flow filter and send off an oil sample at the same time.

The guys that have the gulf coast gcf-01 system, do you just use a paper towel or by the elements? I found some gulf coast on eBay and thinking bout trying one.

Racor 1000's originally were supplied with rolls of paper towels. To use the newer filters with paper towels you would now have to modify them to seal around the center tube. The original's had a center tube similar to a Frantz.

With my GCF O-1 I use the Kirkland brand paper towel rolls from Costco, and they work well. I've never bought elements from GCF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back