MotorKote vs Best Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use just engine oil. I picked an engine oil and now I trust the product to do its job. I don't mix engine oils either and guide my OCI by UOA's.

How effective are these friction tests at determining real world performance of these products? Seems almost unrealistic that regular oil stops the bearing in the machine almost instantly.

Many in here use additives,,,many will not say anything due to being jumped on---Me, I'm open to anything that's good for the engine or transmission,,,,Lucas transmission fix has given life to my car,,yes it takes about 4 bottles a year to keep it shifting right,,otherwise , its a 750dollar fix,,amen

Last edited:
I have yet to see any OM that recommended oil additives. I wouldn't risk it, motor oil has additive packages built in and more is not always better. I have a Subaru and 2 Hyundais and neither OM recommends the use of any supplemental additives. They design, engineer, test and build them so that is good enough for me.

I've been trying to decide between Lucas,STP,or Prolong. I wonder which one builds the highest film strength? Maybe there's a good Timken bearing lubricity test out there someone can point me too.

Prolong, but it's chlorine based and will acidify oil. Fine for race cars where it's flush after a weekend at the track. But not good on the street
frown.gif

I would never say all are snake oil...but the burden of proof lies with the additive companies to prove otherwise. Some don't look too legit while others are intriguing to me. I have evolved away from them personally due to smart people (on here) that have more experience and knowledge than me.

Lubegard Red was approved for Saab transmission issues. I would probably only use Valvoline Synpower Oil additive(discontinued),Liquimoly MoS2,LM Motor Oil Saver,LM Ceratec,Lubegard Biotech, or Archoil.

Good oil is all that's needed.

Some additives add TOO MUCH of a good thing,

and actually make things worse...

There is always a measure of uncertainty when adding something to a fully formulated oil. Where it might help the engine to survive longer during a catastrophic loss of oil pressure, I have to wonder what it does to affect the overall chemistry and effectiveness of the entire oil additive package. I have tried many additives over the years and have had some noticeably good results with a few engine oil additives. The one that I am the most curious about and am considering to test, is called TurboMaxx. I have read a lot and seen some testing and met people that are using the product in their race motors and daily drivers and have yet to hear anything negative about it. I may try some to see what it does. It ain't cheap, though.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
There is always a measure of uncertainty when adding something to a fully formulated oil. Where it might help the engine to survive longer during a catastrophic loss of oil pressure, I have to wonder what it does to affect the overall chemistry and effectiveness of the entire oil additive package. I have tried many additives over the years and have had some noticeably good results with a few engine oil additives. The one that I am the most curious about and am considering to test, is called TurboMaxx. I have read a lot and seen some testing and met people that are using the product in their race motors and daily drivers and have yet to hear anything negative about it. I may try some to see what it does. It ain't cheap, though.

Which is a typical claim for any additive, by the way. There's a huge gulf between not hearing anything negative about something and documented laboratory proof that it does anything positive. It is always interesting that additive companies rely on flashy websites, testimonials and vague "up to" claims rather than providing standardized test results that prove their product has a measurable and positive effect. Generally they keep any claims they make at a number that is within the noise of everyday driving so that it is literally impossible for an average driver to know whether it worked or not. For example, if someone claims their product improves fuel economy by up to 4%, then when someone observes an increase of a percent or two they attribute it to the additive - not accounting for the fact that real-world driving has a multitude of variables, none of which are controlled in any way. The energy density of gasoline varies by several percent even at the same station irrespective of planned changes in formulation for things such as the season. Those additive companies count on being in the noise so their claims cannot be easily disproven.

Either that or the claims are of a nature that couldn't be proven for hundreds of thousands of miles ("less wear"), and would require comparison against a standard engine running without the additive. Something that is never going to happen.

The thing is that proving the efficacy of an additive isn't rocket science and doesn't require gobs of testimonials and goofy doodz on YouTube promoting the product. There are real tests that currently exist that would conclusively demonstrate with statistically valid numbers whether there was a benefit or not. I wonder why the results of those tests (if they are even performed) are never provided by the additive companies?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Either that or the claims are of a nature that couldn't be proven for hundreds of thousands of miles ("less wear"), and would require comparison against a standard engine running without the additive. Something that is never going to happen.

That is what the Bestline video is. Testing one engine with and the other without the additive until catastrophe. Wouldn't that be empirical truth that the Bestline does indeed cause less friction/wear?

Found this over at https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/motorkote-lubricant.49273/

Motorkote claims to not have any chlorine, but that could also be lawyer speak for not having liquid chlorine poured into it.
Virgin oil analysis, as shown on bob is the oil guy forums, have shown levels of up to 28% chlorine in motorkote.
Here is a good article from amsoil on what long chain chlorinated paraffin oil's do, once heated up and exposed to moisture.

Similarly, here is a good article, also by amsoil, on why the timken machine motorkote uses is not a feasible test approved by the ATSM (which motorkote claims it is).

Motorkote depends on the TBN of a quality motor oil (total base number) to neutralize the acid or oxidation it creates. You can, and likely will, notice some improvement in fuel economy, but its value is lost in the $100 a gallon of motrkote and the corrosion of your motor.
ALso, it is NOT suited for high temp use. Another reason why the timken machine is a joke.
Take a blow torch and heat up the bearing, then see how motorkote responds.

You can pour clorox bleach on that bearing and get a similar show to motorkote.

As was also stated about Lucas, its a group 1 bright stock. Its filler basically.
You have 5 groups of oil. Group 3 is your typical conventional, although some synthetics are made from group 3 using hydrocracking.
Group 4 is your "true" synthetic, also called PAO's, or Polyalphaolefin
Wiki link

With lucas you are essentially putting in a gear oil, into your motor, that is made up of parrifinic oils that are low shear stable and little to no true additives.
Virgin oil analysis of lucas can also be found on bob is the oil guy forums, or done your self for $20 or so.

IF you want, or need to thicken up your oil, then add a % of SAE 50-60 to an old motor. All that is being done is putting a bandaid on a true mechanical problem.
Plus raising the viscosity of a 15w-40 to fix a problem with worn rings, bearings or oil leaks, only make the problem worse over time.
I have spoken to many drivers who have gone from 2 gallons of lucas, to 4 gallons per oil change because , like a crack addict, they need that FIX.

IT is impossible to STABILIZE someones oil, with someone elses additive, unless that OIL is a group 5 (search for lubrizol, whom makes all the true oil add packs for most oil companies) that is added at the time of blending.
Lucas will always separate from a motor oil given time.

Lucas, and others, can not truly BLEND and mix with a motor oil, there for it can not stabilize or improve it.

Plus, and this is my fav, if it's good for transmissions, and gear boxes, do you really want it in your motor?

As someone stated, if it worked, Mobil or shell would of bought it.

Shell used to own STP and another additive. They have since gotten rid of them.

Sorry for the long rant, and the repeat of info that was said.
Just figured I would add in some articles for those interested.

I do marketing for Shell rotella, on the Rotella road show, so I talk about this exact subject daily.

If for some reason any has questions about coolants or motor oils, regardless of the manufacturer (im no in sales) feel free to pm!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Keep all that garbage away from that gorgeous Z car.

Haha yeah I was just joshin'
wink.gif
Only place I'd use that stuff is the trash can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back