Wix VS Wix XP

Have always used the regular Wix oil filters with good success. Is there much difference in filtering capabilities and the amount of dirt the XP will hold opposed to the regular filter. Also, any issues with the XP being restrictive in terms of good oil pressure? Thank You in advance.

Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 18 grams dirt (WIX 51515), 99% efficient at 23 microns (Based on WIX 51515, WIX 51356, WIX 57060).

Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP)

The XP is only worth the extra money if you go way beyond 10k in your OCI
smile.gif

This all depends on how "dirty" your engines is ... And, whether you are running additives to clean stuff up? If not, and your change oil at 6~8,000 miles, there is not much point.

OTOH, if you are running a by-pass filter and doing 30,000 mile oils changes I'd run an XP as the spin on
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 18 grams dirt (WIX 51515), 99% efficient at 23 microns (Based on WIX 51515, WIX 51356, WIX 57060).

Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP)

Enough difference in efficiency for me not to use an XP.

really regular wix ( napa gold ) is more efficient then xp , what the point of coming out xp ?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

really regular wix ( napa gold ) is more efficient then xp , what the point of coming out xp ?

WIX touts the XP for much longer OCIs than the regular WIX filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Same here, ZeeOSix.

Many people, myself included, religiously use Toyota filters with their 50% filtering efficiency. Nothing to worry about IMO.

My biggest issue is the normal price compared to say a TG or an Ultra. People buy an Ultra and run it for less than 10k too though.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I run good filters for two 6K OCIs. So could everyone with similar lengths.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Many people, myself included, religiously use Toyota filters with their 50% filtering efficiency. Nothing to worry about IMO.

My biggest issue is the normal price compared to say a TG or an Ultra. People buy an Ultra and run it for less than 10k too though.

There isn't any proof Toyota filters are 51% efficient @ 20 microns in the multi pass, (too fast), test. Someone said it was so over six years ago, and drew a picture. There is documented proof from an independent party on their letterhead a Toyota copy filter was superior in particle filtration to a Fram Ultra. In a real world test, on a car that puts particles into the oil. People believe the no proof Toyota claim and it becomes a rumor, then becomes a reference.
My unpopular theory is cellulose, wood cells, filters finer over time than any all synthetic full flow filter. Filters combining wood cells and synthetic fibers is the best combo, in my unpopular opinion.
23.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
This all depends on how "dirty" your engines is ... And, whether you are running additives to clean stuff up? If not, and your change oil at 6~8,000 miles, there is not much point.

OTOH, if you are running a by-pass filter and doing 30,000 mile oils changes I'd run an XP as the spin on
laugh.gif

And to add to this logic … we recently concluded it was 99/35+50/20 …
As a primary FU user … I find the XP construction to look superior … bypass and all …
(cut open all filters posting here or not) …

Originally Posted By: Ian1982
Have always used the regular Wix oil filters with good success. Is there much difference in filtering capabilities and the amount of dirt the XP will hold opposed to the regular filter. Also, any issues with the XP being restrictive in terms of good oil pressure? Thank You in advance.

Good success shouldn't be messed with in my opinion. The oil pressure should be the same. If you know your filters are fully choked at your fixed interval, then an XP would be better. Or you have a race car with an enormous oil pump.

Yes your Toyota filter cost you about .0006 cents a mile while the Ultra Guard would break the bank almost costing double at .0012 cents a mile.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes your Toyota filter cost you about .0006 cents a mile while the Ultra Guard would break the bank almost costing double at .0012 cents a mile.

What point are you trying to make?

This is a cartridge filter by the way. I haven’t checked to see if Fram even makes one for this, but I’ve seen enough media coming off the end caps to stay away.

Last edited:

This is a cartridge filter by the way. I haven’t checked to see if Fram even makes one for this, but I’ve seen enough media coming off the end caps to stay away.

End caps of which filter?

Originally Posted By: 4WD

End caps of which filter?

Ultra cartridges.

The ‘Yoda filter has no end caps.
smile.gif

Ok … I use XG’s mainly but probably a design best suited for spin on … my only cartridge are Hengst …

Back