Remote Car Starters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think these Remote Car Starters are a waste of money and gas just to have a warm car to get into.

Probably not their owners.
laugh.gif

If I lived on the prairies again, there's no way I'd live there WITHOUT having one!

Aside from bitter temps below freezing, I think they are a waste.

I like the remote start in my Ram. Wouldn't own another vehicle without one. Its also handy in the summer, as it turns the a/c on when its hot outside so its cooled down when I get in it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Does anyone else think these Remote Car Starters are a waste of money and gas just to have a warm car to get into.

NO!

Absolutely. Its a waste of gas and it takes a long time to warm up under no load. I'd much prefer plugging in if needed, to help take the edge off.

I'm sure others will have other claims on the efficacy of that, but it's just folly to me.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I've never had one as all my cars have been manuals. I like the concept though.

They make them for manuals as well.
Been offering them since the late 90's or so.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I've never had one as all my cars have been manuals. I like the concept though.

They make them for manuals as well.
Been offering them since the late 90's or so.

I park my cars in gear. How does this work?

You can now buy them for a vehicle with a manual transmission. It's a bit more involved for safety, but there is a safe system now for such vehicles.
The hand brake or electronic parking brake has a dash indicator when it's applied and the remote starter taps into that and does a few other things to make it possible.

I don't want one. But remote starters prevent vehicles from being stolen. A lot of vehicles that are stolen this time of year in Coldsville USA is because people go out to start their car, run back in the house and the car thief sees an opportunity.

I always forget to use mine. But it's real nice if your car is covered in snow!

I use mine to cool the car down a bit for the kids during the hot summers. Worth the money? I think so for the kids.

Love mine, use it almost every day in winter. I bought one, and my car to serve me. Unless someone else is paying my bills or fueling my car their opinion is irrelevant to my actions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Absolutely. Its a waste of gas and it takes a long time to warm up under no load. I'd much prefer plugging in if needed, to help take the edge off.

I'm sure others will have other claims on the efficacy of that, but it's just folly to me.

+1

Except, it would be handy to have one so I can start car while I get my little one dressed for daycare. I just go out start it, come back in. Only in winter. 3 of 4 seasons its get in and go!

Not having the kids get into a complete frozen car is worth every penny to me.

I agree its a waste of gas but it shaves off a few minutes of my day. Being able to just get into the car and drive. This is my first car with it, i'm not saying i would never go back to one without it but i would try to get one.

This has similar theory like the NEST home thermostat and other new gadgets, a good percentage of people wont need them but it does have its benefits for the ones that want it.

I used to think they were a waste, but as I get older I understand why people get them...

Would like one for myself....

I park my cars in gear. How does this work?

Very badly. In fact, there are YouTube compilations of it.
wink.gif

As for the original post, I have had them. I used them when I had them. I thought they were okay. However, I've never gotten one installed myself. Obviously, I can do with them or without them.

I personally don't like them, but I live in central Virginia where it doesn't normally get too cold. If I lived in snow country the answer would be [censored] yeah.

We love ours especially my wife!
I made sure that the next car we bought('15 Altima SV in signature) had it from the factory ONLY! I did not want one from an installation shop as most(or too many) units are not compatible with every make/model.

Even though many folks have good success with the aftermarket units, 50% of folks have electrical/electronic issues later on...and can't figure out that the problem is the aftermarket remote engine starter(RES).

I would consider a dealer installed unit that is made exactly for that vehicle mainly because it's just a "plug & play" unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back