Oil filter sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use these specific sockets for oil filters? I see these kits and then think, I have all of these size sockets in both deep and shallow. Clearance/access never seems to be an issue and provided you go straight down on the filter cap, you wont damage it. Are there any advantages to these sockets? I am not a professional mechanic, but work on many peoples cars and have just used regular sockets with no damage to the filter cap. Worth it? Or don't bother?

LIS13300_Socket_Set_lg.jpg

LOL, I had the same incorrect thought as you, JC1. That set is for the cap on cartridge type oil filters:
27197nopkg.jpg

Looks like a handy kit if you work on a large variety of vehicles.

I have one for my 3.6L Pentastar oil filter. I think I paid about $2 for it on AMZN about 2 years ago. I really didnn't need it but for the ~$2 I spent, it pushed me up to the free shipping point for non-prime customers.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
LOL, I had the same incorrect thought as you, JC1. That set is for the cap on cartridge type oil filters:
27197nopkg.jpg

Sorry about that, my eyes didn't see that they were for cartridge style. What sizes are they? Depending on price, are they worth it? For my Pentastar i just use an impact socket. Of course you need larger sockets for some of these caps.

If you can fit a regular socket on the cap then one of those isn't going to make a lick of difference. They are low profile large sockets and worth it if you do a lot of oil changes on cars that use filter caps.
I hate to say it but first world quality for these is really optional, they are very low torque for their size so as long as they are sized right it wont make any difference where they come from.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
27197nopkg.jpg

Sorry about that, my eyes didn't see that they were for cartridge style. What sizes are they?

The sizes are listed right there in the above image, on the sockets themselves.

Both our cars need a 36mm socket, so that's the only one I own.
smile.gif

My wifes Chevy Equinox requires a 1 1/4 socket to get the cap off the filter mount. I had a std socket but there wasn't enough room to get it on the nut. So , my neighbor had a ban saw and we cut about a half inch off the socket, and it worked like a charm. If you can get a std socket on it, and have enough room to clear everything, thats all I would use.,,,

I used to have a small collection of those cap sockets due to the varying brands of filters I used on my Accord. Ultimately, I tried, and stuck with filter pliers. I have a Channellock brand set and they have pretty much worked on everything.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'd personally stick with traditional sockets.

Many times they don't fit they are too tall and I sure don't want to chop an expensive 1"+ socket down for these low torque applications.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
My wifes Chevy Equinox requires a 1 1/4 socket to get the cap off the filter mount. I had a std socket but there wasn't enough room to get it on the nut. So , my neighbor had a ban saw and we cut about a half inch off the socket, and it worked like a charm. If you can get a std socket on it, and have enough room to clear everything, thats all I would use.,,,

Lisle actually makes a low profile socket for this application:

Amazon Link

It actually fits my GTI as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back