2015 Honda pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2015 Honda pilot with 29000 miles. Been reading a lot about the cylinder deactivation and some people having problems. I can feel it when it deactivates and activates but not a big deal. There are ways to disable it.

My question is should I disable it? Like to hear from other pilot owners.

thanks

I have a 2012 with 112k mi on it. The cylinder deactivation causes a slight vibration when it kicks in, and it’s worse as the ambient temperature drops. Subtle and hardly noticeable, but annoying when you do notice it. Should you turn it off? I haven’t and won’t.

The only other issue I have is fuel dilution as measured by Blackstone. This issue is consistent and drops viscosity but hasn’t resulted in wear metals outside the norm.

I installed a VCM Muzzler II on my 2017 Honda 3.5, much prefer the way the car operates now.

My 2017 GMC with the 3.6 LGZ also has cylinder deactivation but I do not notice so don't care to disable it in that vehicle.

The rumor I heard is the VCM can cause excessive oil consumption. I see a lot of V6 Hondas that burn oil, but I have no way of confirming if it is from the VCM only.

I have a little experience with these engines. should you disable it? Absolutely 100%!
For a minimal improvement in fuel economy they took one of the best V6 engines on the market and turned it into a pile of trash that is burdened with all sorts of issues, all of them expensive to repair.

Oil burning, cylinder and cylinder head/camshaft damage, sludge, worn active engine mounts that cost a small fortune, expensive spool valves that fail, an OLM that doesn't even come close as the oil is long finished before it trips and all this for a couple of MPG.
It doesn't take an engineer to figure out that if the active engine mounts are needed just to keep the engine from feeling like its going to hop out and run down the road on its own that something isn't running quite as smoothly as it should.

Good points by Trav..

By the way, I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy disabling it so really not sure of the point of it.

Everyone I know that has VCM Honda V6 has put on the muzzler. I'm wanting to get a 2017 Accord coupe, last year of the accord V6's, but going to have to wait a year or two and get a used one. I'll be putting one on also. That VCM is strictly for mileage to appease the EPA gods and the potential for problems down the road is not worth saving a couple of miles.

Dissenting opinion. I have a 2010 Pilot EX-L coming up on 95,000 miles that I bought new. No oil use worth mentioning. Runs like a champ. That said, Pilots are hard on oil. Its a heavy vehicle and the 2nd gens have the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood. I rarely get close to 20 mpg. 16ish is a normal tankful. The engine works hard all the time and burns lots and lots of fuel. I suspect the MM baseline is the Accord, which burns half the fuel the Pilot does. No wonder the MM gives OCIs that are too long on the Pilot. Change the oil every 4-5K and don't think about the VCM

Your right at the mileage issues begin to crop up, all the ones I have done were between 80-140K depending on how they were driven.
From your post it seems you work this vehicle a little harder than many so it may not be spending as much time in eco mode, turning eco off may in fact improve your fuel economy in this operating scenario.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Good points by Trav..

By the way, I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy disabling it so really not sure of the point of it.

+1, I hope the OP listens to him and gets a muzzler installed.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
If I was to buy one that disables which one? vmctuner, muzzler, etc....

thanks

VCM Muzzler II

I have the VCM Muzzler on my 2015 Accord and it is the best thing I could have done for that engine. I feel like I actually gained an MPG in the city but lost a couple MPG on the highway.

I've had a Muzzler for the past 25k miles and love it. VCM operation isn't that bad on my Pilot but the car runs much smoother with all 6 cyl firing. I hope using the Muzzler from early on will prevent VCM-related oil burning/plug fouling down-the-road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back