Dealership 90K service and the loss of a customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The customer brought their car to us because they were tired of the dealer’s pricing and recommendations. The customer forwarded me a copy of the most recent 90K major service that was performed by the dealer. From reviewing the invoice, the 90K service performed was actually quite good and comprehensive. However, removing the snake oil and reducing the total price by about 1/3 could have saved the dealer’s relationship with the customer.

From the parts list, I think this was the “legitimate” work that was performed:
- Oil Change
- Replaced Both Engine Air Filters
- Replaced Cabin Air Filter (charcoal version)
- Replaced Rear Diff Oil
- Replaced Front Diff Oil
- Replaced Transfer Case Fluid
- Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill
- Engine Coolant Drain and Refill
- Brake Fluid Flush
- Replaced Wiper Blades
- Replaced Keyfob Remote Battery

This is the “very extra” work that was performed:
- Battery Service (terminal cleaning and protectant product)
- Interior Deodorizer
- Added Limited Slip Additive to Rear Diff
- Added Cooling System Cleaner and Coolant Additive
- Added Engine Flush Product
- Added Engine Oil Additive
- Added Fuel Additive….twice!
- Performed either a Throttle Body Cleaning or an Induction Service (BG 206 product), not sure which.

Instead of just sneaking in those “extra” items and making them appear to be part of a factory-required 90K service, the dealer should have given the customer some options to choose from.

Those BG/MOC additives are easy snake oil for the dealership - and I question most of it. I had my parents take their car into the Lexus dealer for a new timing belt/water pump(I could have done it) and I also had them do the 50K service as well. I told the service advisor they'll go with the minimum required(LOF, new filters, visual inspection) with no BG stuff needed. The local dealer actually had the extra options priced out in three tiers.

Thank you for sharing. What was the total charge from the dealer for all of the work? I hope they didn't add the engine flush to the new oil that went in. I'll assume they did that correctly.

$1,582 total.

crazy2.gif

But it's a luxury brand.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Thank you for sharing. What was the total charge from the dealer for all of the work? I hope they didn't add the engine flush to the new oil that went in. I'll assume they did that correctly.

The total is listed in the invoice - $1582+tax.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
- Interior Deodorizer
- Performed either a Throttle Body Cleaning or an Induction Service (BG 206 product), not sure which.

I would be ok with the battery service and a throttle body service. Prob skip the Induction service since it looks a bit complicated esp the BG one. Is there any way to spot check some of the things they did to make sure they were actually done? Like the battery service for example.

The total is listed in the invoice - $1582+tax.

Which probably puts it at a good $1700. Ouch!

The only time a dealer sees me is for warranty work or the sale of a new vehicle. And on an occasional blue moon.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
wow so is that the going rate these days at the dealer? $150?

That is already their discounted labor rate for maintenance items. I believe their normal labor rate for real work is $180/hr.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The only time a dealer sees me is for warranty work or the sale of a new vehicle. And on an occasional blue moon.

Pretty much explains me as well, for really rare parts too!

Honestly, for another $1k-$2k, I can buy a good running non-luxury used car
laugh.gif

Not sure, how these dealers charge that insane money !

That is already their discounted labor rate for maintenance items. I believe their normal labor rate for real work is $180/hr.

those coffee and donuts are expensive

those coffee and donuts are expensive

Some of them in my area offer 'free' manicure too...

Not that I need it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
- Interior Deodorizer

I would be ok with the battery service and a throttle body service. Prob skip the Induction service since it looks a bit complicated esp the BG one. Is there any way to spot check some of the things they did to make sure they were actually done? Like the battery service for example.

Not sure if you saw the above or not? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Because there are people who feel the dealer shops are better qualified to service their cars, and people feel in order to maintain a warranty it is best for the dealer to service the vehicle. So they go in for the oil changes, and after the miles start to accumulate a bit they often fall prey to the upsell. I don't need to see a dealer to have my oil changed to maintain a warranty. Obviously opinions vary.

I find it funny that they charged the poor guy for both the BG 44K and Techron fuel additive. Pretty much the same thing except the 44K is much stronger.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Pretty much explains me as well, for really rare parts too!

Honestly, for another $1k-$2k, I can buy a good running non-luxury used car
laugh.gif

Yeah, but then it'd be a NON-Luxury used car!

That's a lot especially for a 2008 car. With the exception of the differential and transfer case, that would be like a B service on a Mercedes which is normally in the $500 range.

Anyway, that $1582 probably included the "free" rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back