Heated seats not working. 13 Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I remote started my 2013 Ram Bighorn quad cab 4x4 today and when I entered I noticed my heated seats weren't on? I manually turned both sides on but they only lit for a few seconds then shut off.
It was -25c here this morning (-4/-5 F) so it may have struggled to start so I am hoping I only blew a fuse?

I went for a decent drive to get some good heat into the engine and cab but it still did the same thing after numerous attempts.

They were working yesterday and last evening when I picked up my son at 4:30 pm as I had both sides on for us for the ride home. I parked like normal, did everything like normal and never started it until around an hour ago, 10:30am.

Just in case this matters, one of my TPM's was on and showed a low front passenger tire as being low. Funny thing is, the drivers side showed lower air pressure but it was not lit/showing that on my dash (EVIC)

Any help would be appreciated.
P.S. would the fuse for this being under the hood or in the cab under the dash somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
cheers3.gif

Fuse(25A clear)F98 in the under the hood fuse box is the one to check. As this happened after remote start some module may have its eggs scrambled a bit. Ideally a scan tool should be used to reset it but that's an expensive tool or a trip to the deaaler or indy that has one.
If the fuse is good you could try removing the battery cables and touch the cables together for a few seconds while they are not connected to discharge any residual current.

This will reset all monitors to not run, radio setting to be lost and the ecm will need to relearn but its not too bad. If you need an Emissions/OBD II inspection sticker in the near future do not pull the cables especially in winter, the evap monitor my not run for a very long time.

For a 2013 Ram, page 668 of the owner's manual is the start of the section on fuses. If you lost your manual, here's a link to a PDF: https://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2013-RAM-15_25_35-OM-5th.pdf?myye

The power distribution center with fuses is in the engine compartment near the battery. On page 677, the manual says that fuse F98 is for the front heated seats, and should be a white/clear plastic 25 amp micro fuse. Replace the fuse if it's blown and see if the seats work again. If the fuse is good and the seats still aren't working, you may have a mess of electrical troubleshooting on your hands.

Funnily enough I think I just found a post you made on another forum about this problem, since I like looking on other forums to see if others have an answer. Sounds like it could be some electrical problem with the seats themselves. A couple people earlier in the thread mentioned identical symptoms. One person talked about a connector under the seat, so try wiggling the connectors down there to see if they come back. People also talked about it acting up more often when remote started, so see if it works if you sit in the seat and start it with the key.

Tire pressure sensors can have some variation in accuracy, and probably nothing to do with the seat heater problem. Pump up your tires to recommended pressure and make a habit of double checking with a good digital tire gauge every so often.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
For a 2013 Ram, page 668 of the owner's manual is the start of the section on fuses. If you lost your manual, here's a link to a PDF: https://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2013-RAM-15_25_35-OM-5th.pdf?myye

The power distribution center with fuses is in the engine compartment near the battery. On page 677, the manual says that fuse F98 is for the front heated seats, and should be a white/clear plastic 25 amp micro fuse. Replace the fuse if it's blown and see if the seats work again. If the fuse is good and the seats still aren't working, you may have a mess of electrical troubleshooting on your hands.

Funnily enough I think I just found a post you made on another forum about this problem, since I like looking on other forums to see if others have an answer. Sounds like it could be some electrical problem with the seats themselves. A couple people earlier in the thread mentioned identical symptoms. One person talked about a connector under the seat, so try wiggling the connectors down there to see if they come back. People also talked about it acting up more often when remote started, so see if it works if you sit in the seat and start it with the key.

Tire pressure sensors can have some variation in accuracy, and probably nothing to do with the seat heater problem. Pump up your tires to recommended pressure and make a habit of double checking with a good digital tire gauge every so often.

Yep, that was me. I rehashed an older thread about it hoping something new was found or updated.

I did try that manual start, instead of remote start, suggestion just now it it worked. It took a second or 2 to lamp but on it came. I manually turned on the passenger side and it worked as well.
I took the truck for a short drive to see if they would stay on, and both did. I shut the passengers off and mine stayed on.

Peculiar for sure so I'd sure like to know what is going on?

Thanks for doing all that digging for me, it is greatly appreciated!
cheers3.gif

Glad you got heat again!

If that made it work I now suspect some sort of control module software bug. It may mean you have to remote start, then manual restart to get the seats working in the future. With that many people having complaints I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet given how easy it is to give software updates at the dealer.

But I know very well how computer programs can get really weird bugs so I'm not at all surprised that the problem happened in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Fuse(25A clear)F98 in the under the hood fuse box is the one to check. As this happened after remote start some module may have its eggs scrambled a bit. Ideally a scan tool should be used to reset it but that's an expensive tool or a trip to the deaaler or indy that has one.
If the fuse is good you could try removing the battery cables and touch the cables together for a few seconds while they are not connected to discharge any residual current.

This will reset all monitors to not run, radio setting to be lost and the ecm will need to relearn but its not too bad. If you need an Emissions/OBD II inspection sticker in the near future do not pull the cables especially in winter, the evap monitor my not run for a very long time.

Sorry, Trav. I do not know how I missed your post?
Thank you, as well, for doing some digging for me!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Glad you got heat again!

If that made it work I now suspect some sort of control module software bug. It may mean you have to remote start, then manual restart to get the seats working in the future. With that many people having complaints I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet given how easy it is to give software updates at the dealer.

But I know very well how computer programs can get really weird bugs so I'm not at all surprised that the problem happened in the first place.

Me too!

Like you, I am surprised as well this hasn't been fixed or updated yet?
No one else has replied yet so far on that other forum so I will keep an eye on it for a day or two to see if some new info comes forward?
I knew, with both seats deciding not to work at the exact same time, something else had to be going on?

I'll do a bit more digging on other forums/sites to see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!
cheers3.gif

Glad you got them working! The fact this happened right after using the remote starter is a dead giveaway that its probably a bug in the system and not an actual hardware failure, check with the dealer for a software update.
Fortunately you were able to get it working without a full reset. Try turning the seat heater off before shut down and manually back on once your in the truck if you use the remote starter.

I wish some other things were this easy to reset without some convoluted Mickey Mouse procedure.

Generally with a remote start, none of the accessories (radio, etc) will come on until the key is in the ignition or the trsnsponder/key is inserted or detected.
At least, none of the five cars/trucks that I have owned with OR's have done this.

Obviously something is coming on or a circuit is being triggered or the seat heater wouldn't require a reset, this almost with certainty indicates a software bug in a module.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Generally with a remote start, none of the accessories (radio, etc) will come on until the key is in the ignition or the trsnsponder/key is inserted or detected.
At least, none of the five cars/trucks that I have owned with OR's have done this.

In the winter, or if it is below 4 degrees C, my seat, steering wheel and heat will come on as will my heated outside mirrors. It is designed that way and is a great feature/option, imo.
In the summer, which was a surprise to me, my A/C will come on. I didn't know it had this feature but one day I unlocked and opened the passenger door and it was on. If I open the driver's door, it shuts off for some reason?

Aside from all that. I remote started my truck again today at 4pm prior to picking my son up. Without unlocking the door, I just looked in the side window and noticed my seat lights were on as was my steering wheel. I unlocked the truck, entered, put the key in the ignition and everything was still on. Tried the passenger side and it worked too!
cheers3.gif

I guess I'll never know what caused this, but glad to see/say it is working again?

Thanks for all your help, ideas and info guys! I appreciate it very much!
thumbsup2.gif

All good this morning. My heated seat and steering wheel came on with the remote start. It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning, +5 F, so maybe that was the difference yesterday?
And maybe, because I manually started it yesterday, after it was mentioned to try that, that maybe that reset something? I'll likely never know nor find out, but hopefully I am good going forward now?

Quote:
And maybe, because I manually started it yesterday, after it was mentioned to try that, that maybe that reset something?

Quite possibly a manual start and manual activation of the heaters put the module and programming back in the way it was supposed to be.

Have to say I'm quite jealous of your heated steering wheel since temps here are in the single digits F this week. BRRR!
lol.gif

Quote:
And maybe, because I manually started it yesterday, after it was mentioned to try that, that maybe that reset something?

Quite possibly a manual start and manual activation of the heaters put the module and programming back in the way it was supposed to be.

Have to say I'm quite jealous of your heated steering wheel since temps here are in the single digits F this week. BRRR!
lol.gif

A couple Ram specific forums I checked out mentioned nothing about an update nor any other info, really. Seems odd as I discovered this has happened to quite a few people.

As far as the heated steering wheel goes, like I mentioned in another thread, I will never be without one in another vehicle going forward.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back