M1 0w-20 AFE is D1G2, what about 0w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice that 0w-30 doesn't appear to have D1G2 yet? Anyone seen any in the wild? I have had the 0w-20 AFE D1G2 in my wife's Accord for over a month..

jdavis,

I've seen current jugs that do not have the d1G2 logo on the front but do have the new license number. Check the back of the jugs.

Originally Posted By: wemay
jdavis,

I've seen current jugs that do not have the d1G2 logo on the front but do have the new license number. Check the back of the jugs.

Good info, thanks

It looks like M1 just updated their site and on there the 0w-30 shows gen 2 now as well.

I have been checking the 0W30 AFE jugs at my local WMs for a while and still see the old license number...a big reason why I ended up running Pennzoil Gold 5W30 as my winter change.
I'm sure it's just taking time to move the old stock out and I would guess that M1 was one oil that may not have needed a formulation change for d1G2, but it made sense to me to buy something that had actually been tested for LSPI and that Gold had very good CCS and MRV results for a 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have been checking the 0W30 AFE jugs at my local WMs for a while and still see the old license number...
I'm sure it's just taking time to move the old stock out and I would guess that M1 was one oil that may not have needed a formulation change for d1G2, ...

I noticed that too. Looks like we can tell which grades were oversupplied in the past based on how long it takes to see the new dexos1 Gen2 stuff arrive.

Same deal with The Mobil Super Synthetic I just got yesterday from Target. Old logo on front of container and new license number on the back of container. Go figure
smile.gif

The VAS I recently bought had the old logo on the front but the newer license # in the back as well. I guess they are using up older jugs although this was the newly redesigned Valvoline jug. You never know.

I would guess that M1 was one oil that may not have needed a formulation change for d1G2,

The amount of testing required for a new formula would never get it out this quickly.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I would guess that M1 was one oil that may not have needed a formulation change for d1G2,

The amount of testing required for a new formula would never get it out this quickly.

Quickly? They've had 2 years to do it. I think Virtus's comment was centered around a strong suspicion that M1's low-Ca formula, which has been that way for about 4 years now, already took into account LSPI very early on and therefore probably already passed all the dexos1 Gen2 new tests way in advance.

The late "Gen 2" labelling was certainly due to being forbidden to display it before about Sept. 2017.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Quickly? They've had 2 years to do it. I think Virtus's comment was centered around a strong suspicion that M1's low-Ca formula, which has been that way for about 4 years now, already took into account LSPI very early on and therefore probably already passed all the dexos1 Gen2 new tests way in advance.
The late "Gen 2" labelling was certainly due to being forbidden to display it before about Sept. 2017.

Not trying to pile on Linc here, but the new standard was called dexos1:2015 for a while...I think that's when the tests were finalized.

Last edited:
I've given thought to making this the go to oil for both vehicles in my sig once my stash is used up.

I've given thought to making this the go to oil for both vehicles in my sig once my stash is used up.

Well the fact is 5w and 10w-30 in you part of the country is a lot easier to come by on sale. I don't see nearly as much 0w on sale. All of them will work. I'd just look for the best cheapest one.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well the fact is 5w and 10w-30 in you part of the country is a lot easier to come by on sale. I don't see nearly as much 0w on sale. All of them will work. I'd just look for the best cheapest one.

01.gif

The only thing that bugs me a little is the 0w-30 AFE appears to have a lot less PAO than 0w-20 AFE.

~15% vs ~35%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back