What's behind Mobil 1's 20K engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm old enough to remember when Mobil-1 (PAO) advertised it was good for 25,000 miles. Back in those days, I had a boss (Chemical Engineer) who changed his Mobil-1 oil once a year, every spring, no matter how many miles it went. He had a Civic wagon from the late 70's, early 80's. Remember them? Changed his filter every 8000 miles then topped off to make up for what was lost in the old filter.

I'm also old enough to remember when M-1 advertised their oil heated in a frying pan and not burning or smoking.

BTW; working with both Chemists and Chemical Engineers, I've learned they don't have any use for the other. .

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I'm old enough to remember when Mobil-1 (PAO) advertised it was good for 25,000 miles.

Back in those days we didn't have turbocharged direct injection beauties.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I'm old enough to remember when Mobil-1 (PAO) advertised it was good for 25,000 miles.

Reckon there were easier engines they could have picked …

I remember the frog in the frying pan as he adjusts to heating of water … and then laughed when the credits rolled by and they showed a plastic stunt frog for the boiling point (well, he needed to look dead to make the point)

Originally Posted By: Y_K

But we had carburetors and distributors.

Whenever I go to Europe, I lease (not rent) a car from www.renaultusa.com Always get a brand new car. The last couple times, the owners manual in my Laguna says to change oil and filter every 30,000 kilometers. That equals 18,750 miles. Of course, this is using European Synthetic, not the stuff they pass for synthetic in this country.

I remember the frying pan one:

as well as the banana as a hammer:

You need to remember that the 20,000 mile oil still has the caveat of following vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I remember the frying pan one:

as well as the banana as a hammer:

You need to remember that the 20,000 mile oil still has the caveat of following vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

Using a frozen banana as a hammer, I should try that.

Whenever I go to Europe, I lease (not rent) a car from www.renaultusa.com Always get a brand new car. The last couple times, the owners manual in my Laguna says to change oil and filter every 30,000 kilometers. That equals 18,750 miles. Of course, this is using European Synthetic, not the stuff they pass for synthetic in this country.

You said "Not the stuff they pass for synthetic in this country". That's not fully accurate.
cheers3.gif

Well, report from Europe:
The 2007 peugeot 1.6 says (ACEA A3/B3) 30 000 km or one yr on gas, 20 000 or one yr on E85. We are at 120 000 km now running mostly ethanol in it and no full year over 20k km.
The rather new Mitsubishi Outlander diesel says 15 000 km or a year on ACEA C2/C3.

I think two things are vital in this: The 1yr limit, if you run 30k km in a year you are not likely shorttripping. And a high rating add pack may live a year. Then there's the Severe use disclaimer; short tripping, dust, etc. If you are short tripping a cold engine, your limit is half and if shorttripping you would not make 30k km in a year.

For those non bitogers, uninterested in maintenance, the rule: "Change once a year using an expensive oil" will almost certainly work without any more thought.

Originally Posted By: lars11
Well, report from Europe:
The 2007 peugeot 1.6 says (ACEA A3/B3) 30 000 km or one yr on gas, 20 000 or one yr on E85. We are at 120 000 km now running mostly ethanol in it and no full year over 20k km.
The rather new Mitsubishi Outlander diesel says 15 000 km or a year on ACEA C2/C3.

I think two things are vital in this: The 1yr limit, if you run 30k km in a year you are not likely shorttripping. And a high rating add pack may live a year. Then there's the Severe use disclaimer; short tripping, dust, etc. If you are short tripping a cold engine, your limit is half and if shorttripping you would not make 30k km in a year.

For those non bitogers, uninterested in maintenance, the rule: "Change once a year using an expensive oil" will almost certainly work without any more thought.

Good summary …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back