2017 mazda cx-5 first change

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend, i will dump the factory fill at about 400 miles.

This is my first DI engine (2.5 Skyactiv g). Looks like i will have no choice but to run 0w20 for warranty purposes.

My oil choices are

Mobil 1 0w 20
Mazda idemitsu 0w20 with moly
QSUD 0w20
Castrol 0w 20s Magnatec or edge

I assume that a low noack is desirable.

I have 2 choices for interval. Fixed schedule 1 or 2 ( 5k or 7.5k) or by the olm
I will probably do fixed schedule 1 ( 5k changes).

Thoughts on oil choice? I know tig1 has good results with mobil 1.

Last edited:
I like the 5k oci to start then do a uoa and test for fuel dilution. That way you can lengthen the intervals based on knowledge. Polaris labs has the equipment to check FD more accurately than Blackstone from all the posts I’ve seen on this matter.

As for the oil, any of those will do fine. There is no best oil for your Mazda. I like Valvoline but M1 AFE would be an excellent choice as would be Pennzoil Platinum. I would choose a dexos 1 gen 2 oil in any case.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Btw, just in case you didn’t know, you will need a 8mm hex for your oil drain plug.

Thanks, did not know that!

Don't settle for a BLIND 5 or 7.5k interval for no reason. Choose the "flexible" settling as Mazda calls it and keep track of the mileage using Trip B or whatever floats your boat and see what the OLM recommends for oil changes based on YOUR driving conditions. It's 2018, and that is definitely the way to go vs just some random number of miles.

My 2014 Mazda 3 is usually showing 50-60% oil life left after 3-4K miles. Me and wifey are harsh on the car but it spends a lot of time cruising on the highway, although at rather high speeds and constant downshifts to pass people at WOT.

I agree about using Mazda's Moly oil for the first oil change. It's good stuff.

Isn't 400 miles on the FF way too soon? I mean, this is the mileage(500-1000 mi) that I changed the FF on 70's, 80's & maybe some 90's automobiles.
I'd think that with modern engines and how clean & washed they are prior to the assembly process that we would want to go at least the full 3000 miles on the FF to allow for the rings to seat...Just asking!
smile.gif

Best of luck with your new CX-5,

CB

Clean and washed out is one thing, but excess metals from break-in are still present and unfiltered because the particles are too small for the full flow filter to capture. This is the spike in metals that shows up on factory fill UOA reports. I personally like to flush that stuff out and get the readings down into single digit territory ASAP, where they remain for the life of the vehicle.

Why some choose to keep that sand paper slush flowing thru the block for thousands of miles is beyond me.

Has anyone any actual statistics to prove or disprove the reason for doing low mileage first flushes.

For instance I have a 100,000 mile Mazda MX5 Miata and it's oil was changed every 9,000 miles according to the service record and is showing no signs of engine wear.

As an engineer I'm looking for some statistics to show if the low mileage changes actually make a difference.

The usual "well it is cheap insurance" remark seems strange to me as if you do say 20 extra oil changes over say 100,000 miles and that costs say and extra $600 £400 and the guy across the road also only does a 10,000 mile change and his car is still going strong at 100,000 miles!

It might be a habit that was taken from us old timers when engine building was all done by hand. Engines manufactured in a controlled setting like today for the most part likely have less chance of contamination. A rebuilt engine by humans will have more chances of contamination either by handling or by the environment.

Is it necessary? That question has been asked here with a 50/50 split yes or no debate. Many have changed their oil early and see the glitter in the oil. That would prove that early changes are beneficial. Others have not changed their oil early and have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

The answer seems to be whatever one feels comfortable with and helps them sleep better.

Not only are MFGs build practices better, and machining better
and cleaner, but oils and filters are much better these days.
Also, some manufacturers are adding break in additives to their
factory fill. Mazda is one of them.
I would suggest keeping the FF in until 2500-3000 miles under normal
circumstances.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
circumstances.

My 2¢

Since when? Are you perhaps confusing Mazda with Honda?

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
circumstances.

My 2¢

Since when? Are you perhaps confusing Mazda with Honda?

Both companies use a high Moly oil in Japan but I think Honda’s FF oil in the USA is not as high Moly as it once was. Still, higher than usual. Since there is no US Mazda production yet, you get the Idemitsu oil with high Moly.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
400 miles on FF is not a prudent decision. I would go out to at least one half your normal oil change or about 2,500 miles. Ed

+1, yeah really what a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back