Machine washing a "dry clean only" winter coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old winter coat,20+ years old that I had put away for years. It's been through everyone!! Me,my brother,several girlfriends :p I got it out and was wondering how safe it would be to wash it in my washing machine,maybe with Woolite in cold water? I honestly can't remember the last time it was cleaned,and can't remember if I actually had it dry cleaned or if I just threw it in the washing machine.

Just turn the water valves off so the washing machine cleans it dry.
27.gif

Washing (and/or drying in a clothes dryer) any material that is used for insulating (such as coats, sleeping bags, and blankets) can remove fibers and thin out the material resulting in reduction of the insulating ability.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Just turn the water valves off so the washing machine cleans it dry.
27.gif

Haha good one!
cheers3.gif

My winter coat gathered dust when I lived in Corpus Christi! 8-{D>

As long as you don't make a habit of washing the thing you should have no problem washing it on the permanent press cycle of your machine.

The dry cleaners will probably charge $12...why not splurge?

More importantly, what kind of man needs a winter coat in South Texas?
lol.gif

Consider a home dry cleaning product like Dryel, available at Target, WM, etc. Have used the kit in the past with good results.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Consider a home dry cleaning product like Dryel, available at Target, WM, etc. Have used the kit in the past with good results.

By the time you buy the kit, you can just have the cleaners do it for you!

Yeah,I know I'm a tightwad haha. I'll just pry open my wallet and hit the dry cleaners :p

It looks machine washable to me*.

*I'm no expert in washing coats. You're on your own, here.

But I'd machine wash it and line dry it.

I would just dry clean it. If i had to, i'd do cold water wash and then dry on air only ( no heat) in the dryer. If the insulation is thick, line drying might end up with mildew.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Why not dry clean it?

In an organization like you were part of for many, many years, the only thing that hits the washer are socks and underwear.
wink.gif

You know you do a lot of dry cleaning through your employment when the dry cleaner comes to you, rather than the other way around.

Yeah...the dry cleaner counter folks know me by name...

In my current, and past, professions, I've had lots of uniform items that were dry clean only. Expensive items. Proper care helps them last (I've still got the service dress uniform in which I was commissioned).

This is the way I'd look at it.

IF the jacket is deeply soiled I'd toss it in the washing machine because dry cleaning isn't magic. Most soil gets onto clothing via "water".
Obviously, a grease based stain needs specific attention.

Heck, if you had a collision with a waiter in a rib house and just threw the garment at a dry cleaner, there's little-to-no chance you'd get it back "clean".

A cousin had a dress which was actually glued together. It just came apart during washing. Your jacket isn't like cous's dress.

Also, (if I read you correctly) this jacket is going to be used for work etc. Just wash it yourself.

Wife cleaned a goose down comforter although the tag says dry clean only. There are products for cleaning & treating down products. Took a risk and seems it worked out fine.
Have some down jackets and sleeping bags to go. But thinking of getting a couple new down bags.
I think last time she cleaned them by hand in the tub but the washing machine must have some gentle cycle she tried and it didn't destroy it.

This jacket is old enough to develop a patina, it looks faded already, throw in with your jeans. Take it out, give it a shake to smooth it out. Zip it up on a big hanger and air dry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back