Switch wheel bearing right to left side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an extra front wheel bearing from the right side of my car that I replaced in error. It turned out the "grinding" sound I was hearing when taking left turns was just low steering fluid. So the bearing is fine but I have another car that might have a bad left wheel speed sensor, which would mean replacing the whole bearing/hub.
Does anyone know if it will be ok to use a bearing in the opposite direction? I'm not sure what to think of it.
Thanks

It comes as a wheel bearing and hub assembley; non servicable. The left and right are the same part number. I just wonder if its alright to switch rotation after it spent 80k miles spinning in one direction.

Last edited:
That should be OK. Worst that happens is there is only a short life left and you eventually have to buy a new one anyway.

as long as the part numbers match side to side it'll be fine. I don't know of any vehicles that use a different wheel bearing from left to right.

You should be fine, but do you remember how you removed it?

If you beat the heck out of it with a hammer to get it off the first time, I would buy a new one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GerGa
It comes as a wheel bearing and hub assembley; non servicable. The left and right are the same part number. I just wonder if its alright to switch rotation after it spent 80k miles spinning in one direction.

Hmmm, that is a good question!
However, since you believe that you're in need of a wheel bearing on the other side and are willing to do the work, give it a shot, what the hey!
smile.gif
Good luck!

The bearing does not care which way it is rotating. Heck, you do put the car in reverse sometimes.
laugh.gif

I believe the main question is, can the bearings spin in the other direction after many thousands of miles of spinning in one direction, mainly at hiwy speeds and without premature wear now, due to spinning the other way?

Reverse is only used for several mph and for short durations. I believe that bearings in good condition/good lubrication won't care, one way or the other(no pun intended).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back