static vs dynamic balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i noticed that DT only put weights on the inside. on the old tires there was a tape weight in the middle as i can see the resdiue. i have a little shimmy at 68 to 70 mph.

So should i have them do a dynamic balance ?

What makes you think they did a static balance ? I don't think any shop that fits tyres would have a static balancer in the 21st Century. You can set most modern machines to fit weights to differnt parts of the rim depending on rim design.

Not sure why but Treadwright from Texas recommends static balancing on their remolded tires. I asked the guy that installed them and he said he knew what to do. He tried dynamic balancing on one just to see and it would not balance that way.

Originally Posted By: Silk
What makes you think they did a static balance ? I don't think any shop that fits tyres would have a static balancer in the 21st Century. You can set most modern machines to fit weights to differnt parts of the rim depending on rim design.

Maybe he has fancy rims and you can see the "outer" weights clumped in the middle. The middle isn't a particularly great place-- to close to the center to be effective unless you use a bunch of weight.

But yes the answer is yes, go for a dynamic rebalance. They "can" do it and just ASSumed you preferred the clean look of inside weights.

Years ago a shop I knew used a spin balancer where the operator had to measure the width of the mounted tire. They used calipers on the outside of the wheel (bead to bead). Then they turned a knob. Perfect EVERY time.

So much has to do with the operator's competence....and CARE FACTOR.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Years ago a shop I knew used a spin balancer where the operator had to measure the width of the mounted tire. They used calipers on the outside of the wheel (bead to bead). Then they turned a knob. Perfect EVERY time.

So much has to do with the operator's competence....and CARE FACTOR.

That's the dynamic balance. You can also find the width stamped in the rim, or just guess seven inches. If you get it wrong, you chase a little weight. But zero is zero.

BTW, a dollar bill is six inches wide.

Originally Posted By: Silk
What makes you think they did a static balance ? I don't think any shop that fits tires would have a static balancer in the 21st Century. You can set most modern machines to fit weights to different parts of the rim depending on rim design.
Ummm nearly every Walmart TLE. We can switch static and dynamic with a touch of a button. We dynamic most of the time, but some of the "Fancy" rims dont have any place to put weights on the outside, so we static balance them. So we just clamp weight the inside, even then some of the rims wont accept that. So its just sticky waited on the outside lip of the rim. Honda rims are like that, possibly some of the hardest OEM rims to date I can think of. Thats why I like steel rims so much. They might not look the best but they are the best riding rims.

static is balancing just up and down . dynamic is up/down side to side .

tire-balancing-methods.jpg

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Not sure why but Treadwright from Texas recommends static balancing on their remolded tires. I asked the guy that installed them and he said he knew what to do. He tried dynamic balancing on one just to see and it would not balance that way.

This makes no sense.

Could you point me to where Treadwright makes this recommendation? I don't see it on their web site. What I do see is that they pre-static balance the tires, but I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Last edited:
I have a 1952 Snap-On static balancer that uses a beam to determine how much weight to put on the 120 deg positions. The thinking back then was that having two balance points opposite the heavy point makes for a better balance.

A tire could have for example, be zero statically balanced, but could have like several ounces of residual dynamic imbalance with the 2 points 180 degrees apart. Although the tire wouldn't hop, it would shimmy like crazy. The only way to truly understand it is to balance about 8000 tires by yourself, like I have in the last 16 years. You can also have a dynamically balanced tire with residual static imbalance too, causing a hop, with no shimmy. A hop happens once per revolution, and a shimmy is usually twice per revolution of the tire/wheel. As to the OP's original question, yes they definitely need to be dynamically balanced with tape weights.

Last edited:
so i called them and ask them about the balancing. the guy just said sometime they need one sometimes two. dynamic always has 2 weights correct?

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
so i called them and ask them about the balancing. the guy just said sometime they need one sometimes two. dynamic always has 2 weights correct?

No, it's possible to dynamic balance with one weight, but I think your shop is just another
"Flintstone tire shop" and you need to go somewhere else, and show the results to them.

Last edited:
Calling isn't going to fix it. Going in there will.

Zero is a number, so there's a shot that one side of one tire won't need a weight.

Been wondering this with the Colorado...

The wheels have nowhere on the outside to clip them, and both the OEM tyres and the ones on it now were just balanced with stick ons about mid width on the inside...(with the offset, Astro14 could land a tomcat on that space).

Wondering is a static would do the same(ish) job on those style wheels.

Originally Posted By: Traction
A tire could have for example, be zero statically balanced, but could have like several ounces of residual dynamic imbalance with the 2 points 180 degrees apart. Although the tire wouldn't hop, it would shimmy like crazy. The only way to truly understand it is to balance about 8000 tires by yourself, like I have in the last 16 years. You can also have a dynamically balanced tire with residual static imbalance too, causing a hop, with no shimmy. A hop happens once per revolution, and a shimmy is usually twice per revolution of the tire/wheel. As to the OP's original question, yes they definitely need to be dynamically balanced with tape weights.

Doesn't computerized wheel balancing pretty much eliminate the static method? Even Hunter's basic economy rig does multiple locations weight placement (e.g. centerline, etc) which zeroes out all imbalance I'm assuming, https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/dsp7705

In other words, instead of the usual dynamic opposite or split positions it could calculate centerline or where ever you want as Hunter illustrates.

Originally Posted By: Gary
Doesn't computerized wheel balancing pretty much eliminate the static method? Even Hunter's basic economy rig does multiple locations weight placement (e.g. centerline, etc) which zeroes out all imbalance I'm assuming, https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/dsp7705

In other words, instead of the usual dynamic opposite or split positions it could calculate centerline or where ever you want as Hunter illustrates.

No, computerized balancing is merely a different method of measuring and processing the information by the machine. Older non-computerized machines just used a different method.

But I think the point you are trying to make is that dynamic balancing INCLUDES static balancing as part of the procedure, which is true, except that you just aren't aware static balance is taking place.

And just to be clear, you can not place weights on the centerline and achieve dynamic balance. There has to be some amount of offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back