Dealer says 07 Highlander has strainer. Nope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never dropped the pan on my Tacoma. 210K miles and counting. I've never dropped it on the Hyundai Santa Fe either and it has about the same mileage. I just do drains/fills every 30K miles on each. No issues whatsoever yet. Then again, they might do 200K miles without even a fluid change, so who knows if I'm actually helping anything or not. Regardless, changing the filter is a fair amount of work for little return on many vehicles. The only time I've actually done this was on my daughter's Trailblazer where I knew it had never even had a fluid change when she got it at 150K miles. I went ahead and dropped it and the filter looked fine. It was probably unnecessary.

Just wanted to add and support clarification on the 2GRFE which is this engines transmission in my vehicle has a filter. So the general blanket statements about the screen is incorrect.

The Toyota Transmission Filter (called oil strainer) and pan gasket for the U660 can be quite expensive. The filter stickers for $96.68 and the oil pan gasket (thank goodness it does not use RTV) stickers for $14.25. In the ideal work, a filter replacement + flush is good preventive maintenance, but the parts pricing may make this uneconomical for most applications. Since the fluid does not even need to be changed (technically), just a fluid replacement puts you ahead of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back