Are You Happy With Your Snow Plow Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the most rural part of the county, 20 mi from the city. I’m 7 mi from the nearest small town where the banks-gasoline-groceries-drugstore-Post Office are located. In 21 years there has never been an occasion when I was not able to get there because of snow. OTOH, the folks on the other side of the county line get about 1/3 of the plow service that we do. How they manage, I don’t know.

Are you happy with your plow service? I certainly am.

Ask folks in Erie PA
smile.gif

Here in Lincoln I think they do a pretty good job especially on snow routes. When they have parking bans on residential streets there are always cars that fail to move and it makes plowing difficult. Also very difficult in the country where white out conditions and blowing snow makes their jobs even harder. Often times during severe storms it is difficult for the plow operators to determine where the road surface ends and the ditch begins. They have a very, very difficult job and they often work with very little sleep trying to make sure travelers have a safer surface to drive on. A big snow plow is not the easiest thing to drive and navigate.

Originally Posted By: azjake
Very happy. Have lived in Phoenix for over 30 years and roads in winter have always been clear of snow.
lol.gif
smile.gif

I would love to move to an area which is snow-free. Don't mind hot weather!

I'm on a dead-end side road 1/10 mile from a state highway. This last little stub can literally go all storm without the town touching it, leaving it impassible with 18+ inches. My neighbors pretty much all have private plows though and if it hits this point they'll drop their own if they're going out. My car can crawl through 10 inches of powder and I'd prefer the town keep it at this point or better so emergency vehicles can get through.

My kids shovel out the fire hydrant as well.

The state/ town keeps the numbered highways passable... to the point of plowing in my side street.
mad.gif

We live up in a corner of town that is partly undeveloped, and the main road to our neighborhood used to go to dirt just past our street (finally got fully paved a few years ago).
It used to be common for us to get a single plow pass late in or just after a big storm, then get fully plowed out several hours later...pretty disheartening to get a massive apron dump after my snowblower has been put away and we've been out of the house for a while if we have to go to work. The main road was also often quite icy and that was scary given how steep it is.

Things have been much better so far this season, we have been getting multiple passes on both sides of the street during storms and fully cleared not long after the snow stops. I also think they have been salting more on our main road to keep the ice from building up so much.

Can't complain. The roads are usually clear enough, and I put snows on two of my three vehicles--the Camry is good for a few inches of snow, the truck is good through about six. Above that and I didn't want to be out anyhow.

What's more of a bummer is that they will cancel school pretty quickly--large district and the side roads can be treacherous, so sometimes they will cancel but the road in front of my house is just fine.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: azjake
Very happy. Have lived in Phoenix for over 30 years and roads in winter have always been clear of snow.
lol.gif
smile.gif

I would love to move to an area which is snow-free. Don't mind hot weather!

Lots of snowbirds down here this time of the year, I don't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back