Auto oil filter for Dodge Caravan auto trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon - I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 L V6. Mileage is 135,000. I use the Caravan to tow a small popup camper weighing 1300 pounds. The rated tow capacity for the standard Caravan is 1800 pounds. I use a vacuum extractor to pull 4 quarts of fluid out of the trans twice a year and replace with fresh ATF+4. I used to do a pan drop and change the filter once a year until I cut the old Mopar filter open. The filter media looks like an extremely coarse cloth woven of thick monofil fishing line. The filter element always looks clean. Given how coarse the filter is, I doubt it will catch anything but rocks and bird nests.

I was thinking about hooking an automotive oil filter into the trans cooler line and changing it twice yearly. I already have a trans cooler as " insurance" when towing in hill country. Would a Fram Ultra or Toughgard work for ths duty? Annual mileage is 6000 miles with 700 miles towing the trailer. Money is tight and I am trying to make this tow vehicle last as long as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would keep extracting and filling with fresh atf periodically. There are inline atf filters you can install. But they may reduce line pressure so not sure if they actually help or not. Don't use an oil filter.

I wouldn't, with your additional cooler and extractor I think you're doing the right thing currently.

You certainly could.

I am using what is basically known as a "Log Splitter" hydraulic filter on the cooler return line on my F-150.

I also tow a lot, & often.

I'm surprised how clean it is after 8,000 miles.

The one I took off was a Wix, I think 51515.

I always place neodymium magnets around the oil inlet holes,

'cause I want to see how much metal finds it's way there:
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply Linctex. I am going to read up on log splitter filters. Never heard of them until now :). Free education is one of the many benefits of BITOG.

I have 2 filters in my transmission system. A Parker 3-micron between the trans and the cooler, and I replaced my factory in-pan spin-on filter with a Fram XG7317.

Using a large automotive oil filter, you could go 50k+miles without changing it. Transmissions are nowhere near as dirty as engines, and flow requirements and much less.

I call bull on it reducing your line pressure. A big oil filter is going to be no obstacle at all.

Different filter in my Van. I have a 2000 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6 and the 4 spd auto. Filter is inside the pan. I have a transmission flush and filter change every 30k miles. Just for piece of mind. Van has 160k on it now. Still runs and shifts like a champ.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Thanks for the quick reply Linctex. I am going to read up on log splitter filters. Never heard of them until now :). Free education is one of the many benefits of BITOG.

It's just a very, very, very, very "generic / universal" filter application.
Millions of pieces of equipment use the same filter head and filter for hydraulic systems.

I'd sell you a filter head with a new filter for $25 shipped.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Using a large automotive oil filter, you could go 50k+miles without changing it. Transmissions are nowhere near as dirty as engines, and flow requirements and much less.

The capacity of the Baldwin BT839-10 I have on there is huge. It will last well over 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I call bull on it reducing your line pressure. A big oil filter is going to be no obstacle at all.

Absolutely 100% correct.

Flow rate on this filter is advertised at 16 GPM.... I would never exceed that in a billion years.

any oil filter would work or hydraulic filter etc.

I have a spin on installed on my f250 and recently put one on my parent's 05 explorer as i replaced the transmission at the beginning of the year.

On my truck i'm running a q-state filter but i've generally run a motorcraft.

on my parents i put on a supertech s-16 to start because i didn't know much room there was going to be as i hadn't installed the mount yet.

you can get a Derale kit on amazon with the hose etc for not a lot of money and then get the trans hose at parts store and the brass fittings at a hardware store, unless the filter kit comes with the fittings.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You can buy a filter head with 3/4x16 threads and use the same oil filter number for both the engine and trans.

I’m running a Fram Ultra XG16 on my GMC transmission right after the Tru Cool LPD …
XG16 also fits our 2007 Chrysler V6 engine …

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Don't use an oil filter.

Please explain your reasoning.

They specifically make remote filter housings for transmissions that take 3/4-6 threaded filters.

PH8A
PH16
PH3600
PH3614

There's also the PH4967 if the smaller gasket isnt an issue.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Don't use an oil filter.

Please explain your reasoning.

They specifically make remote filter housings for transmissions that take 3/4-6 threaded filters.

PH8A
PH16
PH3600
PH3614

There's also the PH4967 if the smaller gasket isnt an issue.

My Derale housing has a wide flange and can take the smaller filters too … just picked XG16 for the 20 microns and low pressure drop …
Had an M1 M301 once … but it was so heavy it worried me …

Im running this between spin on filter and base … do yearly pan drains (plug) … after two years with this magnet ~ the pan magnets were much cleaner … so figured I can leave the pan alone at least 3 years … and swap this magnet then …

I didn't bother to drop the pan, because as is observed… The "in-pan" filter is very, very coarse.

Likewise, I did not clean the in-pan magnet, because I add neodymium magnets into my filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back