Old M1 0W40... Worth Stocking Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Costco has old M1 0W40 for £25 for a 5 litre jug. It was sold as M1 'New life' and M1 'Turbo Diesel' here in the UK. £5 a litre is also quite cheap for a branded synthetic in the UK.

Is it worth stocking up do you think? How does the new M1 0W40 compare?

Might be a good chance to switch the Defender over to a synthetic and it will go in my Mothers Suzuki Jimmny quite happily too.

Define old? Less than 5 years old, stock up NOW
laugh.gif

Modern synthetic oils will all perform well and fairly similarly between brands. It's more dependent on the OCI and filter chosen. Many here are always shopping for the best value, so if the M1 0W40 is the best deal $ wise, I'd say do it.

As I understand it the recent reformulation of M1 0W40 lost it some certs and Castrol Edge 0W40 is superior. So if it is a deal buy it up as that is the BITOG way.

5 pounds per litre? That is insane. I though we had it bad here in Canada having to pay $35 for a 4.4 or 5l jug!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
As I understand it the recent reformulation of M1 0W40 lost it some certs and Castrol Edge 0W40 is superior. So if it is a deal buy it up as that is the BITOG way.

5 pounds per litre? That is insane. I though we had it bad here in Canada having to pay $35 for a 4.4 or 5l jug!

Yes in the UK they pay and arm and a leg for anything car related. I would stock up as much as you can.

Prices will only go up for everything auto-related, with the "climate change" lunatics pressing to have the UK be 100% ICE-free by 2040. Forced obsolescence against the market wishes, based on dubious data, should be a cardinal sin with the penalty being hanging by the neck until dead in the public square.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Of that Jimmy has any variant of the Suzuki 1.6, buy all you can. Yhose little motors LOVE the M1 0W40.

It's an M13A VVT if that means anything to you? Torqueless, gutless, noisy and thirsty but totally bulletproof.

The Suzuki reccomended oil is a 0w20 which is why I went for the A5/B5 0w30. Little more viscosity for added protection but still a low HTHS. Castrol Edge 0w30 is also a Group 4 syntehtic.

It will be interesting to see how it runs on a *w40 A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Prices will only go up for everything auto-related, with the "climate change" lunatics pressing to have the UK be 100% ICE-free by 2040. Forced obsolescence against the market wishes, based on dubious data, should be a cardinal sin with the penalty being hanging by the neck until dead in the public square.

Whats going on in 19th century?

Yesterday afternoon ebay.co.uk had 20% discount on everything for 6 hours.

I bought a 20L container of genuine 5W40 Mercedes 229.5 oil from a Mercedes dealer for £43.99. That has to be unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back