Rental Fleet Queens - Nissan and Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mazda 6 used to be popular with rental fleets until they put the big inner-city wheels on them. Which screams, look at me, look at me! Mazdas are decent if you plan on dumping them prior to 150k miles. Even then that might be pushing things.

Originally Posted By: kam327
I picked up a '13 Durango with the Pentastar last week. The more I've driven it (only abt. 300 miles so far), the more I'm bothered by the engine noise on moderate or greater acceleration. All the magazine reviews I've read prasied the NVH overall. But I rented a Traverse and Enclave a month ago on a family trip and both seemed quieter and more refined in terms of engine noise & vibration from what I remember.

Anybody else driven a Pentastar-equipped vehicle and another V6 vehicle in the same class and noticed the same thing? Or the opposite?

I'm surprised there aren't more rentals on there.

Nissans are either short term rentals (enterprise, budget) or long term rentals (lease).

I don't think anyone actually buys one.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Mazda 6 used to be popular with rental fleets until they put the big inner-city wheels on them. Which screams, look at me, look at me! Mazdas are decent if you plan on dumping them prior to 150k miles. Even then that might be pushing things.

I picked up a '13 Durango with the Pentastar last week. The more I've driven it (only abt. 300 miles so far), the more I'm bothered by the engine noise on moderate or greater acceleration. All the magazine reviews I've read prasied the NVH overall. But I rented a Traverse and Enclave a month ago on a family trip and both seemed quieter and more refined in terms of engine noise & vibration from what I remember.

Anybody else driven a Pentastar-equipped vehicle and another V6 vehicle in the same class and noticed the same thing? Or the opposite?

I guess this is some pathetic dig at me after I criticized the new Camry in another thread and your use of Consumer Reports as your sole source of automotive information? Do me a favor and take digs at me over on that thread - keep this one on topic.

What is the point of quoting my post on the Durango from literally over 4 years ago? I really don't get it.

By the way I've been in many rental lots and don't recall seeing any Mazdas. The last one I was in had two choices in the midsize sedan aisle: an Altima and an Optima. That was a sad day.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Nissans are either short term rentals (enterprise, budget) or long term rentals (lease).

Probably pretty much correct. I know a few people who like buying Nissans though. Two of my neighbors just bought new Nissan trucks. One of them traded in their Toyota Sequoia for a Nissan Armada. I was a little surprised by that.

I guess this is some pathetic dig at me after I criticized the new Camry in another thread and your use of Consumer Reports as your sole source of automotive information? Do me a favor and take digs at me over on that thread - keep this one on topic.

What is the point of quoting my post on the Durango from literally over 4 years ago? I really don't get it.

By the way I've been in many rental lots and don't recall seeing any Mazdas. The last one I was in had two choices in the midsize sedan aisle: an Altima and an Optima. That was a sad day.

I don't recall you from the other thread, of course with such a forgettable username and insightful posts it's no wonder.

I had a Mazda 6 rental years ago and thought it was cheap and seemed made of tin. I remember at the time thinking how can this get above average reviews from C&D. You must not get out a lot if you don't see them.

Whole article here, maybe?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12...s/#more-1606086

My wife's 2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership. When we were looking, lot of different dealers had these on their lots, Hyundai, Kia, etc.

We were nervous, no doubt about it, but all we talked to mentioned they only pick the best ones as no one will purchase one if it has a Carstar record or other info about damage/paint issues.
I went over our car with a fine tooth comb, and other than a retouched paint chip here or there, it is in excellent shape.
Mind you, we have no idea how it was run, but with full warranty still remaining, we took a chance based on the price of it.

Like the dealer said where we purchased it from, things are real easy to find out on the internet today and we have a reputation to uphold.
So far so good, but not a lot of miles on it yet.

Ho much are Nissan making on fleet sales?. If it's a decent margin then it won't bomb the residuals like the Mopar and Chevrolet cars that were sold almost at cost.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: irv
My wife's 2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership. When we were looking, lot of different dealers had these on their lots, Hyundai, Kia, etc.

irv,

The 2017 Impala comes in first place in it's category for full size cars in CR's 2018 Buying Guide plus many other publications. Second is the Kia Cadenza followed by the Toyota Avalon. Those are the top three and the only ones on their "recommended" list for that category.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: irv

irv,

The 2017 Impala comes in first place in it's category for full size cars in CR's 2018 Buying Guide plus many other publications. Second is the Kia Cadenza followed by the Toyota Avalon. Those are the top three and the only ones on their "recommended" list for that category.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Great to hear, SS.
cheers3.gif

Thanks for letting me know!

It is delusional to think that nobody has ever actually purchased a Nissan.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

It is delusional to think that nobody has ever actually purchased a Nissan.

I bought a Nissan...

It's wearing a Mercury badge, but it's a Nissan

Consumer Reports have their place, but they approach vehicles from a very bland vanilla perspective. Some people find that fits well with their vehicle expectations. If you are into performance and not utility, their perspective might not fit with your expectations ... for example you may be willing to trade off some utility or longevity for fun to drive.

Car and Driver is almost the opposite ... they place a premium on performance, not so much on value, and will discount utility or longevity.

Road and Track is a mouthpiece for the OEMs. They take the press releases and industry contacts and make an article out of it.

You need to know the reviewer to get any value from the review. And you need to *honestly* know yourself and how you will use the vehicle. It doesn't pay to follow C&D if you don't drive near the limit, for example; you will just end up buying a car that has capabilities that you will never explore.

They may prefer the Mazda (for example) because it corners well and probably expect buyers to shod it with high wearing low mileage tires. Not everyone wants that, or needs it. Maybe a quiet, good mileage Honda fits you better, or maybe you want the "GM of Japan" boring and reliable Toyota. Or whatever; know thyself and read between the lines.

Same criteria exists for North American or European brands. I do find Edmonds to give a nice, comprehensive review with middle-ground criteria, not leaning one way or the other. For some people that's better than Consumer Reports (for example).

No doubt, lots of Nissans out there at rental places. My last 2 rentals were Nissan Altimas. Not being used to keyless ignitions I was always forgetting to shut it off. Rented on from enterprise at LAX last year and left it run half the night at our hotel in Santa Monica when hotel desk called me and reminded me that vehicle was running, good thing hotel security realized it or it could have been a risk for being stolen. It idled so quietly and after being conditioned by 4 decades of using an ignition key I found it easy to forget. I prefer an ignition key to keyless for that reason, but keyless is where tech is going.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
No doubt, lots of Nissans out there at rental places. My last 2 rentals were Nissan Altimas. Not being used to keyless ignitions I was always forgetting to shut it off. Rented on from enterprise at LAX last year and left it run half the night at our hotel in Santa Monica when hotel desk called me and reminded me that vehicle was running, good thing hotel security realized it or it could have been a risk for being stolen. It idled so quietly and after being conditioned by 4 decades of using an ignition key I found it easy to forget. I prefer an ignition key to keyless for that reason, but keyless is where tech is going.

I've read about others having the same problem leaving their rental cars running. I was a little apprehensive about this when I purchased my push button start Camry but I love it. Never had a situation where I forgot to turn it off.

I see a lot of Kias at the car rental lots when I rent. My last rental was a Kia Soul that I drove from San Diego to Las Angeles during rush hour. The Soul was very impressive at its price-point. Nice driving car for the money.

Originally Posted By: BJD78

One of my friends has a fun story about that. They had a Nissan rental one time, but lost the key some time after starting the car. They drove it several hundred miles before they realized the key was lost. Had to get the car towed and pay for replacement keys (they went back and couldn't find them).

I thought Hyundai would be the rental champs. Mine was a rental, they seem really common as rentals too.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Ho much are Nissan making on fleet sales?. If it's a decent margin then it won't bomb the residuals like the Mopar and Chevrolet cars that were sold almost at cost.

Claud.

They are rental fodder to keep the plants running, they probably give the cars away, only fleet which might be profitable are trucks sold to utilities..

There is a reason the domestics are pulling back unprofitable fleet sale, also fleet kills residuals and trade in values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back