Oil Viscosity not listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fully Synthetic 5W50 JSO-MA but my ATV doesn't really say what oil weight to use. It more or less just show you a range; 0W30, 10W30, 10W40, 15W40, 20W40 OR 20W and JSO-MA.

I'm in NY but my ATV is mostly garage kept and stays above 60f. Should I just get different weight or stay with 5W50?

I don't see 5w-50 listed on there at all. I think I'd personally run a 15w-40 given your comments about garage (starting) temperatures, and the fact that over 110F in NY is an absolute rarity.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I don't see 5w-50 listed on there at all. I think I'd personally run a 15w-40 given your comments about garage (starting) temperatures, and the fact that over 110F in NY is an absolute rarity.

I agree, unless you use it in the winter?

I ran Rotella T in my Grizzly years ago and it liked it. I ran Amsoil originally but it liked it too much if you know what I mean.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ShawnTRD
I ride just as much in the winter as I do in the summer.

Then follow your manual and run the right type/weight of oil for the conditions you ride in.

It's been 10 yrs since I owned mine but I believe I ran a 5W-40 or a 0W-40, I forget? 0W-40 Mobil Euro in my Vector for years without issue.

Last edited:
I ride just as much in the winter as I do in the summer.

I'd try a 5W-40 like Rotella T6 and see if that works for you....

LOTS of people run it in their motorcycles! (that make big HP)

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Do you do cold starts in winter outdoors?

Well it's in the garage if I leave from my house. If we trailer somewhere it would most likely be outside.

Amsoil 5w50 atv/utv? It will be good for winter and summer use. But having that wide of a viscosity range, I'd be opting for short intervals on your changes. Run a uoa on it during the warmer months and see what it shears down to.

Last edited:
I would run 5W-40 if it is available. But not MA only. MA2 dis much better than the old MA category (which became MA1). If it only says MA, it is probably old and still slips. There is a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Do you do cold starts in winter outdoors?

Well it's in the garage if I leave from my house. If we trailer somewhere it would most likely be outside.

Exactly why you should run the type/weight of oil for the conditions/temps you ride in. 5W-40 or 0W-40 like has already been recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back