Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: car51
Thought this would be interesting even for our Canadian friends. Enjoy
smile.gif

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRaQWe8XZLE

Thanks Car51.

Yes, thank you.
cheers3.gif

Watching that vid lead to many others as well. Imo, really shows the benefits of using a low first number and synthetic oil (depending on the brand)
Another Oshawa peep on here too.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
So, who here would be interested in a Harvest King 0w20 vs Mobil Super 5w20 cold pour?

Absolutely!

It really should be a little more scientific... timed through a funnel at the same temp or something.

Well, when I get home it should be around 20’ish F

The harvest king 0w20 will be there when I get home.
smile.gif

I have a funnel also and will have to research or someone can PM me on how to upload YouTube video

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnels make it a viscosity rather than pour point test...bit of a difference, but do the same thing every time, and you can compare.

My preference would be a steel ball bearing dropping through a cylinder of oil...could mount them side by side, and have magnetic release.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Funnels make it a viscosity rather than pour point test...bit of a difference, but do the same thing every time, and you can compare.

My preference would be a steel ball bearing dropping through a cylinder of oil...could mount them side by side, and have magnetic release.

Thanks for the insight and help mate
smile.gif

Ahh … that’s a bench race so we can place bets (until cheating sets in by day two) …
wink.gif

How big of a bearing? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How big of a bearing? Just curious.

Relatively small clearance...will try to dig something up.

The viscometers I bought for my condition monitoring guy back in the day were test tube bubble viscometers.

Test tube filled to line, then inverted...bubble formed, and had to "fight" it's way to the top, with the film of lubricant running between the bubble and the tube.

They are an ASTM set in and of themselves.

Car51, thanks for using my videos! I have tested a few more cheaper synthetics ($2-4 a quart) and saw no difference in flow at -15F than fancy over priced Mobil 1. Yes they are probably all group 3 and not worthy of 15k interval but at $3 a quart it will do fine on a 7-8k interval.

Originally Posted By: Serge
Car51, thanks for using my videos! I have tested a few more cheaper synthetics ($2-4 a quart) and saw no difference in flow at -15F than fancy over priced Mobil 1. Yes they are probably all group 3 and not worthy of 15k interval but at $3 a quart it will do fine on a 7-8k interval.

You’re welcome sir:)

Originally Posted By: Serge

How about -40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back