Inside Mobil1's Testing & Lab set-up, Annual Prot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liking this vid. Interesting all the facts and testing he shows. 3 thumbs up (if I had an extra thumb...).
It shows the pistons from some Annual Protection testing, which the XOM website purposely hid before! They do look kinda black. I suppose they're wasn't any stuck rings all the way to 120,000 miles for the Lexus, Chevy, and Ford DI-turbo engines though.

Kinda like how these cams are kinda black
whistle.gif

MustangCamShaftRoyalPurpleVsMobile1.jpg

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: deven
whistle.gif

LOL! Don’t let TIG1 see this
wink.gif

lol.gif

whistle.gif

I was talking about the ringlands, on the pistons. Keeping camshafts "not black" isn't an issue. Pistons, OTOH, are a weak spot for 20k oil change intervals, seeing 350F+ degrees regularly. Does anybody think the pistons seen in the video are too deposited-up? If doing the Annual Prot 20k OCI's, then maybe do a 3,000 mile cleaning OCI every 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'd like to know more about the methodology with that "spinning aluminum disc" anti-oxidation test.

And the TEOST test too, as well as the Mobil-proprietary one where they showed their M1 Ann Prot far passing 4 other synthetics.

Liked his product testing/development flow chart where the "spinning disc" test and others came before engine testing, MADS testing, and Las Vegas taxi testing.

Oh those have got nothing on Tig1. He'll just say come back after some 10K mile OCIs.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
whistle.gif

LOL! Don’t let TIG1 see this
wink.gif

Last edited:
whistle.gif

Nothing against Royal Purple but this is a true fanboy post coming from someone who is a "Proud RP user" in his signature. The equivalency of finding some irrelevant test to say ours is superior. Try comparing the longevity of these two engines in the real world. You would start having issues at what mileage? TIG1 has had great success and longevity with M1 at 10k mile intervals, and most of us use all kinds of cheap synthetics with never any issues.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
whistle.gif

I was talking about the ringlands, on the pistons. Keeping camshafts "not black" isn't an issue. Pistons, OTOH, are a weak spot for 20k oil change intervals, seeing 350F+ degrees regularly. Does anybody think the pistons seen in the video are too deposited-up? If doing the Annual Prot 20k OCI's, then maybe do a 3,000 mile cleaning OCI every 2 or 3 years.

Do manufacturers use any kind of coating or process in that area of the piston? I know that piston skirts are sometimes moly coated or some other process but I am not sure about the ringland area.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
whistle.gif

Do manufacturers use any kind of coating or process in that area of the piston? I know that piston skirts are sometimes moly coated or some other process but I am not sure about the ringland area.

Generally only the skirts to prevent noise on start AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Does anyone have a link to all of Mobil's testing data? There has to be a PDF somewhere...

Generally proprietary, secret info. At least the exact test results are.
This youtube video tour didn't uncover much more than Mobil has already stated on their website.
Similar to how we rarely see test results for official SN GF-5 (or any other) certification, unless they release 1 or 2 test results alone amongst the many.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Does anyone have a link to all of Mobil's testing data? There has to be a PDF somewhere...

Generally proprietary, secret info. At least the exact test results are.
This youtube video tour didn't uncover much more than Mobil has already stated on their website.
Similar to how we rarely see test results for official SN GF-5 (or any other) certification, unless they release 1 or 2 test results alone amongst the many.

This video had a lot of charts from the testing data, so can't be that top secret.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Look new one:

This is an example of a heat treated camshaft. Here is another. The cam in the video was another example. Here is a link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+heat+treated+camshafts.&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=TZkTKoC7e7OkuM%253A%252CUs2XYSfK0AczYM%252C_&usg=__c9Qz6Q4RjVlA0AznvZmgL_jbqow%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFjaODqavYAhUCRiYKHcYCAdEQ9QEINDAE#imgrc=TZkTKoC7e7OkuM:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back