My pour point test (MS5k vs Napa syn) @-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I left out a bottle of Napa Syn and MS5K (both 5w30) last night. The low was -12ish and it was -10 when I got them from outside.
I was surprised how they performed similarly in my test, in fact, (unscientifically) the MS5K looked thinner and poured slightly more easily. But they both flowed quite well. Take a look!

Should've done the test outside, so the oil doesn't warm up in the house.

Still... Thanks! Good experiment!

I did it within about 30 seconds of bringing it inside... I don't think I would've enjoyed doing it outside
laugh.gif
! But it was good and cold!

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I did it within about 30 seconds of bringing it inside... I don't think I would've enjoyed doing it outside
laugh.gif

I vote for our esteemed member Garak to do the next test
wink.gif

J/K Garak
smile.gif

Weird why the synthetic looked a bit thicker.

Also, should have left the oil in the little containers exposed (covered with a napkin or something) so the oil is in identical containers.

When I watched a Mobil 1 cold flow test, they said they poured the competitor brand into a Mobil 1 bottle so there wouldn't be variations of the thickness of the bottle keeping on oil warmed then the other, for example.

We all know 5w flows well. How about you get a 15w40 or something and see how that flows in comparison.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I thought the same but maybe that shows us that Napa isn't necessarily the best oil to use? Any idea who makes Napa oil?

Of course we can never see enough of these tests, but I'd like to see a 5W-20/30 PP or PUP up against the same from Mobil to see how they compare?
PP currently in my hemi truck (5W-20) and PUP currently in my wife's 3.6 Impala. (5W-30) and it was "0" F here this morning (-18c)

Originally Posted By: irv

I thought the same but maybe that shows us that Napa isn't necessarily the best oil to use? Any idea who makes Napa oil?

Of course we can never see enough of these tests, but I'd like to see a 5W-20/30 PP or PUP up against the same from Mobil to see how they compare?
PP currently in my hemi truck (5W-20) and PUP currently in my wife's 3.6 Impala. (5W-30) and it was "0" F here this morning (-18c)

Valvoline makes the oil for Napa. They looked pretty much the same to me.

Disappointing for the NAPA (valvo) syn. Kinda ruins my arguments for using synthetics.... or..... could be the cheaper GroupIII base oils aren't as good as what SOPUS and XOM use for their full syns (???) GroupIII+ GTL, and/or makes an argument for the use of at least some PAO in the base oil, like what Mobil1 EP oils have for example.

So I left out a bottle of Napa Syn and MS5K (both 5w30) last night. The low was -12ish and it was -10 when I got them from outside.
I was surprised how they performed similarly in my test, in fact, (unscientifically) the MS5K looked thinner and poured slightly more easily. But they both flowed quite well. Take a look!

Too cold to watch. Tell me when it warms up.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Disappointing for the NAPA (valvo) syn. Kinda ruins my arguments for using synthetics.... or..... could be the cheaper GroupIII base oils aren't as good as what SOPUS and XOM use for their full syns (???) GroupIII+ GTL, and/or makes an argument for the use of at least some PAO in the base oil, like what Mobil1 EP oils have for example.

This is an interesting test and thanks to the OP but even he would tell you it’s completely unscientific. Did he pour the two oils exactly the same way for example.

This was a good exercise but we cannot make any judgement here based on it unless the results were vastly different, and they weren’t.

Originally Posted By: car51
laugh.gif

I vote for our esteemed member Garak to do the next test
wink.gif

J/K Garak
smile.gif

Well … without mentioning names … I think it’s our distinguished engineer from Oz … Happy Birthday BTW … who really likes the 5w glug testing …
wink.gif

Not sure if this was standard temp for 5w GT’s …

XOM has been expanding GII+ production to meet OEM standard at a value based cost … could be this Mobil conventional be from this base fluid

Originally Posted By: PimTac

This is an interesting test and thanks to the OP but even he would tell you it’s completely unscientific. Did he pour the two oils exactly the same way for example.

This was a good exercise but we cannot make any judgement here based on it unless the results were vastly different, and they weren’t.

To even micrometer a brick … would need a marsh funnel and stopwatch … at a proper temperature …
Of course we have rotational tests already even though some are only easy to find in 0W grades …

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: irv

Valvoline makes the oil for Napa. They looked pretty much the same to me.

It was close, very close, but I also thought the Napa flowed a little slower and looked a little thicker.

Not that I wouldn't use the Napa but I'd do a price comparison first between the 2 oils, if that's all I had to choose from, and if everything else was the same/similar, I'd choose the cheaper $ oil, which, in this case, I'd assume the Mobil?

Last edited:
Yes, Mobil Super is the cheapest name-brand oil at Walmart, about $14.50/5 quarts.
I plan on doing another test with possibly some other oils if/when we have a -20 night.
Maybe Formula Shell conventional and Valvoline Synthetic?

If you do another test, maybe think about some kind of set up where both samples are tipped at the same time? Other videos have jury rigged contraptions that use a single handle. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back