When do you plan on taking Social Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Wait as long as possible.
Don't worry about it not being there. Its just a government paper exercise. They have used it as current revenue for decades. So its already broke.

+1 on both accounts. If you can avoid collecting until as late as you can the better off you are. I hope it is still around when I am getting towards that age but that being said it wont be going anywhere. Congrats on the earlier (than average) retirement!

I could collect SS in only 28 years. How does this happen!? I am undecided on SS, since I am only finishing my bachelors degree next year, and then starting a new career. Anything could happen, but I think I'd rather work as long as I am healthy and able.

Last edited:
Many things need to be factored in. Wife's age, pension, retirement savings, health. Basically the same for you.

If you take it early for less than 1 yr and decide it was bad decision, you can pay it all back and rescind your application for SS. You can do this once.

I'd rather take it early and live a simple life. My father died at 63 and was the longest living male on his side of the family. My mother and her father made it to 86. My cardiologist told me when I was 53 that my mitral valve is starting to wear out. Nothing to worry about for now.

I advised my BIL to take it as early as possible. IF you live to 84 (?), you can worry about benefit size for late in life ... He did not and he's already left close to $75K on the table if he goes tomorrow. That's money he could have used. Yeah sure, it'll be a couple hundred more each month, but he's going backwards waiting ...

I am planning on retiring at 60 and start drawing on my 401k.
I have a debt free life and most of my hobbies could return me money if I was to pursue if I was to work and need money. I should be fine.
I will draw at 62 simply because my dad died at 51 and my mom died at 56 and alot of relatives have died in thier late 50s and early 60s.
I want some of it and no reason working till I drop over dead since I planned well.

I just took mine at my 60th birthday ... haven't received a check yet but they will carry it back to the application date. Things work differently in Canada (obviously, you wouldn't expect otherwise) in that you can't take it before 60 and have to take it by 67, with full benefits at 65. The incentive to wait the extra two years is the benefit would still increase if your earned income in those two years was higher than your workforce history average, which is often the case. They also cut a number of years, I forget how many but I think it's 10 ... of you lowest earning years, when they calculate your average contribution rate, so the payment is a bit higher.

Canada Pension Plan benefits are collected by the Federal Government (as a payroll tax, same as the US) but at a lower rate (employee + employer combined @ 50:50 ratio, or self-employed the whole amount paid by you). Contributions are 9.9% of income, nothing if less than $3,500, so typical situation is employee pays 4.95 and employer pays 4.95. Where the rate is lower is the maximum contribution limit is (2018) $54,900 so no-one pays on income above that.

Even though the Government administers the CPP and both collects contributions and issues the checks, the actual pension is held by an independent arm (the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board). So money is not paid out of general revenue, and contributions are handed over to this agency whom then invests the money; the average long-term rate of return is about 10%. The CPP is actuarially sound for the next 75 years (and in reality longer, but 75 years is the accounting limit for calculating contributions and benefits). Slo there is genuinely money in the pension fund and Government is prohibited by law from attaching it.

The Board is just like the Investment Arm of a bank, they pay salaries for the brokers commensurate with industry norms. So there are a half dozen or so employees of that board making in the million dollar salary range. They do this to insure sound investment strategy and to recruit people who are good at that job. It's that aspect that makes it somewhat unique, as most (probably all) public pensions in the US hire a bank to invest money.

The problem with that is returns are limited ... the contracts with banks are such that returns above [some number] are retained by the bank and not paid into the fund. The reasoning is, apparently*, that taxpayers would balk at paying what are in essence public servants those kinds of salaries in the US. But the cost is high, due to the limit on return.

* Reason based on what the California State Employee pension fund reports to be the case.

I am retired also and age 58 and will probably take it at age 66, "God willing and the creek don 't rise." To my knowledge no males in my family have ever lived past age 80 so I definitely do not want to wait till age 70. I am retired military and 100% disabled veteran with no debt other than house payment so I figure age 66 would be a good compromise. I heard on the radio the other day ( some retirement show on KFAB Omaha) that every year you can delay adds about 8% to what you get. No right answer on when do draw it, so do what is best for your own family situation.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I am retired also and age 58 and will probably take it at age 66, "God willing and the creek don 't rise." To my knowledge no males in my family have ever lived past age 80 so I definitely do not want to wait till age 70. I am retired military and 100% disabled veteran with no debt other than house payment so I figure age 66 would be a good compromise. I heard on the radio the other day ( some retirement show on KFAB Omaha) that every year you can delay adds about 8% to what you get. No right answer on when do draw it, so do what is best for your own family situation.

Do you get a Military Pension as well? In Canada if you serve the pensionable maximum (25 years) you get a full pension on your retirement date from the military (which can be in your mid-40's) and there is also a disability pension if you are work impacted by your injury. My dad collected one from a WWII back injury (injured three times and returned to service each time; shot once in the leg, shrpnel once also in the leg, and motorcycle accident in France once which was the back injury). There was no disability paid out on the first two, but when he had back surgery in the 1960's the disability pension started; he would have been late 40's at the time of the surgery, discharged in 1946 at age 29.

The math for you seems pretty simple; 100 / 8 = 12.5, so one year's worth of pension actually paid = 12.5 years of collecting at the higher rate.

In the US a retired veteran can draw both military retired pay and veterans disability pay as well as long as you have a VA disability rated at 50% or more. Military retirement pay is taxed while VA disability is tax free. However just because one is rated as 100% disabled by the VA does not mean that you are qualified for Social security disability. Social security disability is a whole different thing, though some veterans are eligible to collect all 3... military retired pay, VA disability and social security disability. I ma not sure how much social security disability is , but I would guess that it is taxed. To get a military pension here you need 20 years and then you can get 50% of your base pay. Each year over 20 adds 2.5% to retired pay. I had 37 total years, of which 26 years were active duty and 11 years were a combination of Army Guard and Army Reserve so I get about 66% of my base pay. I think 75% is the highest one can get if you can stay in that long. There was a time back in mid 90's where they allowed a few soldiers to retire with reduced retirement pay at the 15 year mark (40%) because the military was downsizing and trying to entice people to get out and retire early.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am planning on retiring at 60 and start drawing on my 401k.
I have a debt free life and most of my hobbies could return me money if I was to pursue if I was to work and need money. I should be fine.
I will draw at 62 simply because my dad died at 51 and my mom died at 56 and alot of relatives have died in thier late 50s and early 60s.
I want some of it and no reason working till I drop over dead since I planned well.

That is sad and scary

My original plan was to wait until my full retirement age (66 yrs 8 mos), but two factors changed my mind, and I will now be taking it at 62. The men on both sides of my family don't live to be very old, and I'll be receiving several other pensions/annuities...military, FERS, TSP, and VA disability, so the difference between the two benefit amounts is not worth as much to me as my time is...

Originally Posted By: grampi
My original plan was to wait until my full retirement age (66 yrs 8 mos), but two factors changed my mind, and I will now be taking it at 62. The men on both sides of my family don't live to be very old, and I'll be receiving several other pensions/annuities...military, FERS, TSP, and VA disability, so the difference between the two benefit amounts is not worth as much to me as my time is...

Yes, take it while you're still healthy and can enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: saginawmale50
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't spend that extra money when you're dead.

Technically there's no extra money when you're dead as it stops once you're dead.

If you believe in the actuarial tables, most people will live a little bit longer than the 84 that the payments are based on. So in theory it makes more sense to take it later as taking it sooner nets you less money than taking it later. But if you're in poor health or don't think the odds are that good due to family history or need the money, then just take it early.

Here's a life expectancy calculator. The older you are, the more likely you're going to live longer.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/population/longevity.html

Social security was only designed to replace about 40% of the income you need in retirement. So in theory people should have enough assets to tide them over til reaching the max.

There are lots of valid reasons to take it at 62 as noted already, family health history, other income sources. To simply say take it early just because isn't always a good choice. Insurance has to be paid for by most people for one thing, a big monthly expense. If you believe the different articles and surveys most Americans haven't prepared well for retirement. It makes little sense to quit your job to retire early and have to take a low paying part time job to make ends meet. If you want something to do that's different. It's a 25% difference between 62 and 66 so every year you hold off is a 6% raise for as long as you live. Everyone has a different situation. Want no part of not being able to do something or buy something reasonable because I just had to retire early. And, dad lived to 87 and mom is 87 and still going..

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: saginawmale50
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't spend that extra money when you're dead.

Technically there's no extra money when you're dead as it stops once you're dead.

If you believe in the actuarial tables, most people will live a little bit longer than the 84 that the payments are based on. So in theory it makes more sense to take it later as taking it sooner nets you less money than taking it later. But if you're in poor health or don't think the odds are that good due to family history or need the money, then just take it early.

Here's a life expectancy calculator. The older you are, the more likely you're going to live longer.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/population/longevity.html

Social security was only designed to replace about 40% of the income you need in retirement. So in theory people should have enough assets to tide them over til reaching the max.

I will have enough other income in retirement to hold off taking SS until I reach full benefit age, but it would take until I'm 74 before I'd make back the amount I would draw from 62 to 66 and 8 mos, and there's no guarantee I'll live to 74, and I will most certainly be physically more able to enjoy the extra money between the ages of 62 to 74 than I will after I'm 74. That's why I'm taking SS at 62...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back