Tuner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of a 2015 F150 5.0 Coyote engime with no ther mods. I installed a MPT custom tune optimized for 93 octane using a SCT tuner. I have been running it for about 5k miles. It does make a noticeable difference in the get up and go. Gas mileage is where it should be at 18.4 mixed driving over the 5k. I do see the oil life monitor dropping from 100% quicker than it did pre-tune. Oil and filter the same; M1 0-40 and Fram Ultra. I plan on an analysis after 5k oil change.

Wanted to hear thoughts on using a tuner. It's by no means an extreme tune but it does advance the timing and I wonder what the affect on longevity is. Doesn't seem to be definitive answers. Figured I'd ask and see what some of you had to say.

thanks

I can't speak on long term longevity but I had an '04 Ram 1500 with the 4.7l V8 that I tuned via Superchips tuner. I ran the tune for about two years and never experienced any engine problems.

I have used tuners for many years will no problems. I purchased a Superchips tuner for my Moms 2004 F150 5.4 in 2006 when she wanted to put larger tires on it. So I also installed the 93 octane program as well. The truck had 30k or so on it then. IT has over 300k on it now.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Wanted to hear thoughts on using a tuner. It's by no means an extreme tune but it does advance the timing and I wonder what the affect on longevity is. Doesn't seem to be definitive answers.

Having the tuner doesn't really have any affect on longevity.

How hard you push your right foot down.... does.

I am not a professional, but I have been tuning my cars, especially the ones that I take it to track. OLM drops quicker because you might be driving it harder, or at higher RPMs more frequently.

There is no "yes or no" answer for that question without seeing the datalogs. What I aim to do is, I try to get STFT and LTFT close to 0% all rpm range when it's on closed loop. It makes the low and mid range super smooth. For most professional tuners, it is hard to get 0% fuel trims, so they say anything below -+5% or -+10% is "acceptable" and they tune it that way because it takes too much time to tune precisely, and they don't have time to spend a week for each car (each car is different, even if they are stock or have same mods). If you know what you are doing, noone can tune your car better than you. The procedure is same/similar when it comes to open loop no matter what type of gasoline engine it is, advance the timing, adjust the fuel cells, and so on. I think it is easier and takes less time to adjust WOT or open loop, that's why tuners like to tune WOT more than low-mid range especially if it is a dyno queen car. The result will be like your car runs faster when you drive it hard, but runs like [censored] if you drive it slowly.

Long story short, as long as there is no noticeable detonation, same rev limiter in place, same driving habits, and using the recommended octane, I wouldn't worry about the longevity. To make sure, do the UOA and check the fuel trims when driving normally (under 4k rpm), and check ignition knock count in each cylinder after few pulls on 3rd and 4th gear.

Speaking of a 2015 F150 5.0 Coyote engime with no ther mods. I installed a MPT custom tune optimized for 93 octane using a SCT tuner. I have been running it for about 5k miles. It does make a noticeable difference in the get up and go. Gas mileage is where it should be at 18.4 mixed driving over the 5k. I do see the oil life monitor dropping from 100% quicker than it did pre-tune. Oil and filter the same; M1 0-40 and Fram Ultra. I plan on an analysis after 5k oil change.

Wanted to hear thoughts on using a tuner. It's by no means an extreme tune but it does advance the timing and I wonder what the affect on longevity is. Doesn't seem to be definitive answers. Figured I'd ask and see what some of you had to say.

thanks

My thoughts on a tuner is: tuning is different for each vehicle. I have seen some
"canned tunes" as well as "dyno tunes" and some general tunes for a few mods. I believe a proper tune can improve efficiency on any engine. I think this will improve longevity (if done correctly). Unfortunately many "tunes" I have seen are nothing more than transmission changes and WOT enrichment with much of the factory tune still there. Even so, longevity shouldn't be much of an issue unless the tune is utterly destroyed.

Just for example: (a little off topic) on my cars I always take out nearly all of the torque management in the transmission shifting behavior (or reduced it by more than 75%.) Some school of thought is the TQ man helps improve longevity of the transmissions. For me, I notice much cleaner transmission fluid with cleaner, crisper shifts.

To sum this topic up....I like excellent maintenance habits. With excellent maintenance habits the longevity of your vehicle will be as good as possible. That is all you can hope for.

The Dinan chip I installed in my M6 made a very noticeable difference. The Turner/Conforti chip I installed in my Club Sport increased the flexibility a bit and removed the moronic 116 mph speed limiter.
My only experience I've had with a flash tune has been the Hypertech tune for the 2007 Mazdaspeed 3; it also provided a significant bump in power.
In all three cases I was completely happy with the tune and did not notice any downsides- although penny-pinchers might not like the fact that all three tunes required 91 octane fuel at a minimum.
My only recommendation would be to do your homework and select a tune from a reputable company that knows the strengths and limitations of the platform they are tuning.

I've heard that from many posters running the 3.5 and 2.7 Eco in the F150. I can say it makes a worthwhile difference in the 5.0 for sure.

thanks

Since I have no experience with MPT my experience may mean nothing. Installed a Diablosport Predator canned tune on my sig car nearly 8 years ago IIRC. Moved some limiters and changed the tire sizes and have not touched it since.

I love the way it pushed all the safety intervention stuff way back so it rarely intervenes in any street situation, but it's still there for you if you need it. Makes the engine a bit more punchy but absolutely no difference in an all day strip session. ET's were exactly the same. No issues of any kind, just a spunkier feel to the car.

I will be getting one for our 14 RAM soon. I have never driven a vehicle with so much torque management. It won't even give you full throttle until third gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back