Clutch alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is clutch disk alignment with the pressure plate always necessary (with a dedicated tool or maybe by other means) for every car model, when replacing a 3 pieces clutch kit?
Or are there any cars for which this step can be skipped?

Thanks!

You'll never get the input shaft to the transmission to go through the disk(s) and into the pilot bearing if you don't align it with the tool before you snug down the pressure plate.

Ok, you might, but you'd be awfully lucky, and you run more of a risk of smacking the pilot bearing in a way you probably don't want to.

Some mechanics save the 1st motion shaft from a junked tranny and use it as an alignment tool.

As posted above, be careful and get it absolutely correct.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You don't need to align the clutch at all if you don't plan on installing the transmission.

Otherwise, I wouldn't skip it.

The car is a Nissan Almera N16 2.2 Di.
The mechanic says they don't use an alignment tool, when installing a new clutch kit. But Exedy's instructions are clear: https://youtu.be/S5xSOy03NAg?t=5m2s They do use an alignment tool as you can see...
What do you mean by saying "installing the transmission"? Is there a way to change the clutch without removing the gearbox?

What I understand now, by doing more research, is that the alignment is only necessary for the easier installation of the gearbox. It isn't that you can install the clutch disk in the wrong position, but if it is not aligned correctly you have to do the same job again. Bottom line, if you can install the gearbox without an issue, that means the alignment was correct at the firth place, right?

Originally Posted By: ctechbob
You'll never get the input shaft to the transmission to go through the disk(s) and into the pilot bearing if you don't align it with the tool before you snug down the pressure plate.

Ok, you might, but you'd be awfully lucky, and you run more of a risk of smacking the pilot bearing in a way you probably don't want to.

I get what you said now. So there is a risk of damaging the pilot bearing during the installation, it's not only that you have to do the same work from the start if you can't install the transmission...

Originally Posted By: inquirer
Originally Posted By: ctechbob

I get what you said now. So there is a risk of damaging the pilot bearing during the installation, it's not only that you have to do the same work from the start if you can't install the transmission...

What generally happens is you get the trans and engine close to coming together and then they won't go the final little bit like they should. At that point you would stop, pull them back apart and check your alignment. What you don't want to do is start threading the bolts in that hold the engine and trans together and just start cranking thinking they will get them together that last little bit. That is when bad things happen and stuff gets broken. Its best to just use the tool, and make sure everything is aligned. Even then it can sometimes be a bugger to the the two big heavy parts to move together just right and with ease.

Always test fit the new clutch disk on the transmission shaft to be sure you have the correct part. This can save a lot of frustration later.

You can set it in line without the tool if you can see clearly and get the disk and bearing perfectly concentric. The plastic tool doesn't always fit very well.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes. Many kits come with a cheap plastic tool.

+1 Which works great.

You don't need to align the clutch at all if you don't plan on installing the transmission.

LOL Agreed.

What I understand now, by doing more research, is that the alignment is only necessary for the easier installation of the gearbox. It isn't that you can install the clutch disk in the wrong position, but if it is not aligned correctly you have to do the same job again. Bottom line, if you can install the gearbox without an issue, that means the alignment was correct at the firth place, right?

You keep trying to rationalize this but if the clutch disk isn't exactly aligned with the pilot bearing/socket in the flywheel then the two will not mate up properly. It's usually hard enough to get them to mate anyway, if this isn't right then you never will. What's the issue with getting a tool? Didn't one come with the new clutch kit?

The car is a Nissan Almera N16 2.2 Di.
Is there a way to change the clutch without removing the gearbox?

Not unless you have an old Opel Kadett, on those you could remove the shaft from the rear of the transmission and drop the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing out from below with the transmission still in the car, a one hour job.
Your car requires the transmission to be removed.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 Which works great.

However, the cheap plastic clutch alignment tool does not work so great to force out the pilot bearing with the grease packing + hammer method.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Some mechanics save the 1st motion shaft from a junked tranny and use it as an alignment tool.

As posted above, be careful and get it absolutely correct.

^^^^This. While I don't mind the plastic alignment tools, I had an old time transmission shop dig up an old Muncie input shaft for me. I had it machined slightly for ease of use, and the thing works absolutely perfect. Much more solid and accurate than the plastic stuff.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

+1 Which works great.

However, the cheap plastic clutch alignment tool does not work so great to force out the pilot bearing with the grease packing + hammer method.
27.gif

To get pilot bearings out, I actually use Play-Doh rather than grease. Much cleaner.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

+1 Which works great.

27.gif

To get pilot bearings out, I actually use Play-Doh rather than grease. Much cleaner.

And cheaper! That is actually a great idea. Now I have an excuse to bring playdough to work.
grin.gif

Not unless you have an old Opel Kadett, on those you could remove the shaft from the rear of the transmission and drop the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing out from below with the transmission still in the car, a one hour job.
Your car requires the transmission to be removed.

Or an old Saab!

Those old 99s/900s were sweet. A little goofy to work on at first but easy once you're in the Swedish state of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back